FEX...

Guest J van E

Guest J van E

I bought FEX today because I'd like to get the same awesome screenies as everyone else here. But up to now it doesn't deliver...

I was hoping to get this:

Posted Image

But all I get with the same themes and settings is this...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Awfull colors, no warmth at all. I can't get it done. I tried various themes (in FEX and FSX) and settings, but it all looks rather crap. And fps is a LOT lower too. So far I am not impressed, to say the least, so I hoped some FEX-guru might help me to get nicer results!

Another thing I do not like is that I can clearly see where the clouds end: I can see pieces of the sky in the distance, even with visibility low and clouds drawn as far as possible. I can't remember seeing that on screenies, but maybe I just didn't pay attention. And another thing: I also noticed that slightly turning my head (Track IR) changes all colors, which is not quite realistic: when I look outside in real life and see a nice sunset, it stays nice and the same no matter how I turn my head. Is this a limitation of FEX/FSX...?

Hope someone can give me some guidelines because right now I am ready for a refund.

EDIT:

Here is what I mean by 'seeing where the clouds end'. It happens mainly during dawn and dusk. I shouldn't be able to see that with the weather settings,

Posted Image

Guest J van E

And one MORE thing: anyone knows if it's possible to see the clouds reflected in the Orbxwater? I can't see them. I've seen pictures with Orbx like water and you could clearly see the clouds being mirrored. But no matter what I do, I only get green water.

Man, this is really spoiling my Eastern weekend... I bought FEX specially for FTX and I was hoping to have a wonderfull time with it, making some awesome flights and screenies, but I've only been fooling around for hours and hours, testing everything, and nothing gives me what I hoped for. Sometimes I hate computers. And FSX. Nothing to do with FTX, I know, but I've just had it right now.

EDIT:

Never mind: I found out you need water at mid 2x to get reflections! Yesterday I read somewhere low 2x should do that, but apparently it doesn't...

Just took off from Hobart in midday (screw dawn) and that Orbx warer looks a LOT better than the default water. Clouds are nice too, I have to say... I should have left that dawn for what it was... ruined my complete afternoon. Stupid me.  ;D

I have had great luck with FEX, and REX looks amazing also.  Not sure of easy way to tell you what to change in FEX, but for the water reflections you have to have water settings highter 2x Med I think.

The rest of it is just playing around with FEX to get it to the settings you like.  Should be able to get same results as seen.  I have an older processor: P3.4 GHz, with 3gb ram, 8800 GTS 640mb nvidia, and get okay FPS with FEX.  Normally have FPS locked at 20 fps and normally at this with default planes and FEX/FTX.  Keep working on it. 

This is from one of my other posts, not the best shots to compare to but an example:

Posted Image

That's why i am using RealSky Pro or XGraphics dawn or dusk textures. With FEX your are not able to change those until you use another complete sky set. I am sure with REX we can 'design' our favorite sky easy by selecting many different dawn/day/dusk textures.

Boy, that shot with the neon green water looks soooo wrong...  :D

Guest J van E

Well, in the daytime things do look great... I really love that Orbx water: that's a thousand times better than that bright water!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Guest GaryVH-GJB

Hi Biscuit,

Let me know how you go with X-Graphics....I Get a tad overwhelmed with all the settings but if you get great results give me a yell and I may reinstall them.  ;)

Gary VH-GJB

One "tweak" to consider is that some/most of these graphics and weather can easily be run on a second computer that doesn't need to be very good.  If you are fortunate enough to have 2 systems at hand then using simconnect or FSUIPC/WideFS, depending on the addon, you can off load a whole lot of stuff to the second dedicated system.

Currently I run an old Athlon XP2800 with 1 Gb RAM, and have Active Sky X, X Graphics, Flight Calculator, Flight Sim Commander and Radar Contact without any issues at all.  When I ran all of them on my main system it brought it to its knees over more populated areas, even at the flight levels. 

I don't know if you can do that with FEX and REX but you can certainly do that with ASX.  So dust off that old system and put it back to use ;D

One "tweak" to consider is that some/most of these graphics and weather can easily be run on a second computer that doesn't need to be very good.  If you are fortunate enough to have 2 systems at hand then using simconnect or FSUIPC/WideFS, depending on the addon, you can off load a whole lot of stuff to the second dedicated system.

Currently I run an old Athlon XP2800 with 1 Gb RAM, and have Active Sky X, X Graphics, Flight Calculator, Flight Sim Commander and Radar Contact without any issues at all.  When I ran all of them on my main system it brought it to its knees over more populated areas, even at the flight levels. 

I don't know if you can do that with FEX and REX but you can certainly do that with ASX.  So dust off that old system and put it back to use ;D

This sounds interesting, I've got an spare machine (AMD X2 4200 with 2GB RAM) sitting gathering dust, must look at starting it up.

(I recently bought ASX And ASG and haven't been real happy so far. Things seem to look pretty much the same no matter what themes I choose.)

I run FEX and have had great results, I check all the new community downloads regularly and keep a swag of my favourite sky themes on hand, I find with FTX the Natural Haze series of sky themes with Wispy 1 clouds is dang nice, but hey, thats on my system anyway.

Asus D5W Deluxe Mobo

Geforce 8800 Ultra GFX

E6600 2.4Ghz Dual Core running at 2.8Ghz

4 Gig Corsair DDR2 RAM

Dell 24" Monitor @ 1920 x 1200

Archived