FTX Scenery & ORBX Library Files - stored location

richjb

Hello,

Today, I was updating my P3Dv4 FTX Scenery, Orbx Libraries, and installing Vector.  While installing Vector, FTX Central reported an error message saying that I was out of disk space.  LM P3Dv4 is in its own disk and director with almost 250 GB of free space, so that was not the problem.  However, my "C" drive where Window, et al is located was maxed out.  It had "0" space left.  Admittedly, I'm running tight on this drive at only 300 GBs and need to do some housecleaning. 

What I did is uninstall the P3Dv4 FTX scenery and libraries. That gave me about 14 GBs of free space on the C drive.  Because of some other issues and Robert's recent post on screwing up a good P3Dv4 install, I am taking this opportunity to completely re-install P3Dv4.  Before I reinstall Orbx FTX, is it possible to control where these files will be downloaded to or where the original backups will be stored? 

I thought that the Orbx files would download directly to the FSX or P3D directories.  This doesn't appear to be the case, or is it and that my problem lies elsewhere?

Thanks for your help!

Rich Boll

Wichita, KS

Hello,

If you move your Windows temp folders off the C drive, this will solve your problem with FTX Central.

It will not solve the more general problem of your C drive being too small for the use you are putting it to.

Possibly, it is no too small but filled with unnecessary Windows files.

There is a great deal of housekeeping that can be done to reduce the size of the Windows folder and there

are very few programs that will not function unless they are on the C drive.

Thanks Nick!

I appreciate the reply.  I'm going to guess that my Windows temp folders are causing much of the problem. I'll clean that folder out first and see about moving it elsewhere.

When I partitioned my 1 TB drive a few years back, I thought 300 GBs would be enough!

if you're on Win10, each major update (the "Creator Update" and the "November update" are the last two examples, I think), part of the update is they create an "Windows Old" folder so you easily revert to the previous edition if necessary. These folders can take 5 to 10 GB of room. An easy way to get rid of them and also clean out other unnecessary files is to use the Disk Cleanup tool accessible from Windows Explorer. Right click on your C: drive icon, then choose the Properties at the bottom of the list and you'll see the Cleanup tool in the middle of the pop-up box. Once open, chose "Cleanup system files" and while you're at it, clean out all but the most current restore points which you can access from the right hand tab.

Thanks Herman,

I am on Windows 10.  I do not see the "Windows Old" folders.  I'll run the Disk Cleanup Tool.  At the very least, it will get rid of a lot of the junk on the computer!

Thanks!

Rich

Archived