P55 Extreme Overclockers: Check your sockets!

Dukester

This doesn't make for good news for those that overclock.

It doesn't have anything to do with them running 5.19ghz on a CPU and board designed to run 2.66Ghz does it?

Frank

Well I think that is the cause of the catastrophic failures & black charcoaled areas in the photos however the really big concern is the contact anomalies this has shown, is not good for long term durability no matter what speed you run the CPU.

Yeah,

I see what ya getting at. The non contact is one issue, but surely the heat generation and the black contacts were caused by overclocking.

Do you think that they're asserting that this would happen even on non-overclocked machines?

Frank

You can't up from 1.2 to 1.3 or 1.4 v ? How much more Watt does it draw at 4 GHz ? I wouldn't touch that with gloves, really... Slap the extreme CPU (running turbo mode) in and wait what happens.

I was burned with the EVGA 280 GTX because i grabbed one from the first batch released. Those had a production flaw too.

• 3 weeks later...

Seems DFI have confirmed the issue with their 1st Gen boards but have rectified it for future revisions by moving to LOTES made sockets.

When speaking with DFI today about this ,they have indeed confirmed that the first run of only a very small quantity of p55 dk boards have the old Foxconn socket, however all boards after will now have the new LOTES socket

Source: http://gilgameshreviews.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8394

Archived