FSX Re-Install

Bassman

Hi Guys

Just wondering, if I wanted to re-install FSX but want to retain all my aircraft, Orbx (FTX) and OZx files, is it possible to copy the Orbx folder, the OZx folder, Simobjects folder, Gauges folder and effects folder and addon Scenery Folder all into a temporary folder, re-install the basic FSX program and then replace the relevant default folders with the backed up copies???

Cheers

Dan

This is coverd in other areas , but you simply reinstall on top of your current instalation , IF you have NOT modified any iof the ORIGINAL textures and files then all your additions will remain intact. FSX instalation will only replace or refresh the CORE files installed when first done.

1. Save your current scenery and FSX cfg files

2. Make a copy of your existing installation on another drive

3. Run the UNINSTALLER on your FSX DVD and then delete the current FSX Folders entirely.

4. Replace the deleted folders with your backup copy.

5. Reinstall FSX.

5A. Possibly not needed but run the Path tool to verify the registry entries are correct!

6. Run FSX and reset all your scenery locations.

7. Make a security backup of this installation NOW!! .

All that being said IMHO anyone who doesn't have a decent hard drive with an exact copy of their working FSX install isn't thinking ahead, it saves a lot of mucking about.

Not a drama mate there is NO substitute for decent storage these days, and to be honest people that commit backups to DVD/CD are really wasting both money and time, I often wonder how many are aware that Home burnt medis actually degrades so commiting to a backup HD makes sense to me as it is cheaper and faster.. For the price of them today 1Tb and 1.5Tb Drives are worth every cent as is buying something like "Symantec's"  GHOST or "Akronis's" True Image as either of these programs will save you from massive headaches should you have a HDD fail or your OS die.

Not a drama mate there is NO substitute for decent storage these days, and to be honest people that commit backups to DVD/CD are really wasting both money and time, I often wonder how many are aware that Home burnt medis actually degrades so commiting to a backup HD makes sense to me as it is cheaper and faster......

Agreed for backups, but there is something reassuring about removable static media for long-term archiving. I wouldn't use conventional DVDs for archival storage but DVD-RAM is very reliable and is claimed to have an estimated life of 30 years. It's a completely different design from normal DVD as it stores data in concentric tracks like a hard disk, and can be used in cut-and-paste copying just like a disk. Not much use for your FSX directory backup because of the 5GB size limit, but good for saving archival copies of downloads and other valuable files. They're not cheap though.

USB flash drives are another alternative, but I believe they have a more limited lifetime ;)

Greg

Archived