Orbx Southern California on FSX Steam Edition

TARPSBird

I am a new user of Orbx products so I can use some "adult supervision" here. I got everything set up with .NET Framework 4.5 and FTX Central v.3 and then purchased Southern California to install on FSX-SE. SE is the only sim I have installed on my Win7 OS, so no there's no boxed vs SE consideration here. I think I made a mistake and pointed the install to the "Flight Simulator X Files" folder (where .FLT files live) in "My Documents" instead of allowing it to install automatically. It didn't install right and the landscape was totally messed up when I tried to fly around San Diego. When I attempt another install, what do I have to do after the install is completed? I am totally confused. :unsure:

Hello and welcome to the forums.

The correct way to remove an installation of the FSX Steam Edition is to open Steam

and select uninstall.

This will remove all the files and the registry entries.

If you installed Steam there as well, you will need to move it too.

Here is a copy from the Steam forum.

The following instructions are a simple way to move your Steam installation along with your games:

1. Exit the Steam client application.

2. Browse to the Steam installation folder for the Steam installation you would like to move (C:\Program Files\Steam by default).

3. Delete all of the files and folders except the SteamApps & Userdata folders and Steam.exe

4. Cut and paste the whole Steam folder to the new location, for example: D:\Games\Steam\

5. Launch Steam and log into your account.

Nick, thanks for your response. My Steam install is fine and I don't need to move it. It's the install procedure for the Orbx Southern California package that I am confused about. Since there is no other FSX install present, will FTX Central just automatically install SoCal in the proper location or do I have to select a location? If it's automatic, do I still have to use the Scenery Library screen in FSX-SE to select and activate it? 

Hello,

FTX Central uses the information in the Windows registry to determine where the simulator

is and therefore where to install the files to.

If the registry entries are correct, FTX Central will place all the files into the correct locations and

add all the entries to the scenery library.

I must confess to now being slightly confused by your remark,

"I think I made a mistake and pointed the install to the "Flight Simulator X Files"

Can you confirm the location of your FSX Steam Edition and also tell me what simulator version

appears at the top left of the FTX Central window.

Thanks.

Nick, here's a screenshot of the screen display where I got confused on the first attempt to install SoCal. Upper LH corner says FSX.

I don't think I should have messed with the "Installation Options" selection. :unsure:

Also, the location of my Steam install is:  C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX

FTX_Central.jpg

Thank you for your help, Nick. That is what I'll do on my next install attempt. One more question if I may... Do I have to install any separate library objects for the SoCal scenery or is everything I need in the package?

Archived