Real bad Performance

Rezabrya

I downloaded the FTX demo yesterday and my first impression was wow.  My second however was "I am getting really bad framerates".  I usually get 36 solid FPS with just about any payware plane.  I am running a fairly high end system and can generally run perfect with any plane, any where.  My framerates drop to anywhere from 6 fps to 15 fps when I am at YMLT with FTX mode on.  I am running Vista 64 bit SP2.  The other scenery addons I have include GEX, UTX, REX 2.0, and FSGenesis Terrain mesh.  Any idea what could be causing this?

Did you apply the FSX slider settings as recommended in the Demo user manual?

What PC specs are you running on?

We will be releasing a new version of the demo which makes some changes at YMLT which may improve performance, but not by a factor of 10FPS. The biggest FPS killer is your autogen settings, so I'd recommend setting them to Normal or Dense and go from there.

As a guide, I get 45-54 FPS in this area, in FTX (non-demo) with REX 2048 clouds - in a Carenado 182RG - Standard Cokcpit, windowed.  Slightly higher on FullScreen TH2Go.

It may depend on your computer specs - but something is amiss.

FTX usually doesn't knock your frames around much if at all - but, as John suggested, the exception is that areas that should have trees may now have them annotated (Autogen - autogenerated scenery) - whereas FSX native may have had desert.

More information will be required to unravel this.

I am running a Intel Q9550 OC'd to 3.4 GHZ, a Nvidia GTX 260 Core 216, 8 gigs of DDr2 1066 ram, and a soundcard, My FSX is installed on a 7200 RPM hdd so that shouldn't be a problem.  I will try defragging over the day today.  I also turned my autogen down a bit.

I recall there being a few others who have relatively poor performance at YMLT compared to other ORBX airports. I am one of them. With Autogen set to normal and John's recommended Autogen tweaks I get around 17fps at YMLT (see sig for PC spec's). Still flyable but it is less than I get at airports such as Cessnock or Tamworth. In fact the only other airport than has poorer performance for me is YMML. I see a common theme here YM*. ;) Does make me wonder if there is something in there that isn't optimised, perhaps something to look into for the SP3 update. However for the price I can't really complain and the rest of Tassie runs great.  ;D

Regards,

Serge

Well my FSX is now officially messed up.  I downloaded the 372+ free airports and I was trying to install them but my FSX is dead.  Everytime I try to open it I get an error that says "Can't read from file".  Anytime I try to defrag my hdd it gets stuck on an effect titled something like "fx_orbxlights_white".  I honestly have no idea what is going on.  I can't defrag, I can't open FSX.

Archived