FTX Central and Freeware

mac22

Just came back to playing P3Dv3(with Orbx addons) after a few months absence.....and have a few questions about recent changes....

1)Firstly when I logged into FTX Central it asked be to update a few things - including I think to the latest version of FTX Central - I think there is a v3 now available however mine is still showing v2 even after updating - just wondering if this is correct and will I have to manually update to v3 of central (I have read a few things about the new version - seems to suggest you now purchase scenery through the Orbx shop (my legacy stuff is via flightsimstore) also will the new version automatically run updates of scenery? (older version seems to just prompt me to run an update manually.........much prefer an automated system like on steam....

2)Also just tried to download and install some freeware (airports) firstly I seems to have 2 options to install this freeware - I just choose manual as the other options seems to need v3 of central - then when I download I seem to get a file name with lots of ransdom letters - when I try  and unzip the file (assume you need to do this)  it just unzips more files with equally confusing names - just wondering whan I am doing wrong?

Note appreciate these might be "basic" questions but have just come back to using P3d/Orbx.......

doug thanks for the link very helpful!

1)so it seems I need to move my licences across to the new system - out of interest (assume you have already moved from v2 to v3) is it an easy process? (i.e. can I just install it over the top of my existing v2 so don't need to install everything again or will I need to uninstall v2 and all scenery and start again with the v3?

2)If I remain with v2 for the moment it seems activation of the regions you want to play is no longer required in FTX but in the scenery library of P3d - so everything (regions) should be selected as always on - is this understanding correct or have I misunderstood?

3)for the freeware airports I tried to download and install - should I still be able to do this with FTXv2 and why was I getting the randomly named folders when I unzipped the download?

Mac,

1) Yes it is an easy process for most, and v2 can remain on your system, although the desk top icon will be removed by v3 but you can leave everything installed, and it will show as such in v3, but v3 will identify and notify you of updates.

2) This is correct for the most part,

3) These do require v3 to be installed and do not have an .exe to use for manual installation, so if you do use v3 and the manual download option from your Orbx Direct account (after transfer from your FSS account) then you will need to put them in a named folder so you can identify them for future install as backup for v3. 

Archived