Hot chip for the chop - and a question

Hotspot

Some time in the dim past I bought an E8500 when they were the in thing for budding overclockers, with the intention of teaching myself how to overclock by experimentation. First step of course was to get the temperature suitably low for overclocking, and that is still where I'm at with this chip.

It has been in five different systems, using four different coolers, and no matter what the circumstance, idles at 80C and goes up to a staggering 83C under load in FSX. In the meantime, in the same systems, with the same coolers, programs and conditions, I have other quad and dual core chips which behave 'normally', in that they idle at about 35C, and with good cooling can be overclocked as high as 3.9 on air at 52C. While not big on overclocking, or attached to conquering the world with FSX performance, this has me puzzled.

Is there such a thing as an inherently hot CPU, or am I missing something here?

Mobos used - Gigabyte EP35 and 45 DS3 and UP3, Asus Striker, Evga 780i Sli FTW: Coolers - default, Xigmatec achilles, Thermalright 2 types including Ultra 120 Extreme.

Thanks for the link Dwho, yep I've done all that (including using the recommended MX2 and it's replacement MX3), and have come to the tentative conclusion that it's a hot chip or the sensor is OOS. The chip works quite OK  provided no attempt is made to OC , all other components run at normal temps  (the graphics card with aftermarket cooler runs at average 34 and max 38 in the current setup with this chip) . Not the end of the earth, but interested to hear if others have had this experience or could cast light on it. Thanks again for you input.  :D

Does it have a lot of old thermal paste on the chip?

A suggestion I would have to test if it wasn't the sensor would be to get some metho and a cotton bud, dip it into the metho and then clean off the chip/heat shield on the top of the chip. GENTLY!

Then once you have all the old goo off that, do the same for the heat sink so that they are nice and clean.

If you heat sink has a lot of rubbish in it, this affects performance too. You can try by removing the fan and all removable parts, get a vacuum cleaner and suck out the rubbish from the blades, then replace the fan. Works a charm! Remove the fan first or you can ruin the bearings in the fan.

Then re-apply a dot of thermal paste to the chip in the centre of the CPU. It will spread as the heat sink is placed on. No need to spread it.

Try then after ensuring that the CPU is running at stock speeds. If it's still hot it's sounds like a stuffed sensor.

The only reason I would say it's a broken sensor at the moment is that the CPU temp only increases 3 degrees under load. I think I can say we would all only ever want to see that much fluctuation however generally you would tend to see a lot more than that!  :P

I think you can safely say that if you do all that and their is no change, that that's what it's going to be.

Thanks Brad - all the equipment is kept scrupulously clean and dust free, and use of paste by amount, technique and brand has been a feature of my experiments. Your point re small fluctuation in temps  adds weight to  a crook sensor . I will probably wait till the big price drop (ha ha) and buy an E8400 to fiddle with.  ;)

Sometimes it's luck I think.  I had a very hot CPU once, same as you, hot from idle.  I was getting ready to take it back when the old 'fiddle' streak came out.  You know the one, you go in and fiddle but you don't really know what you're doing?  Anyway, I unclipped the fan's 4 mounting clips, removed the CPU, cleaned it, put the CPU back, tapped it a couple of times with my fingernail, put the second half of the thermal paste tube on and smoothed it out, then put the fan back on and made sure all the clips had clicked home nicely, gave the fan assembly a couple of wiggles to ensure it was secure, and then with fingers crossed I booted into BIOS, and the CPU settled on about 38 degrees and stayed there, as opposed to the 70+ degrees from before the 'fiddle'.

Not that yours sounds like it would benefit from the fiddling as you have already fiddled heaps!

Bill, idle at 80 C ? How much vcore did you set ? That must be a very bad mount without thermal paste or defect thermal sensors in the chip.

@ nojwod  Yep, this chip has been in and out of different gear so much it's had every combination of cleaning, tapping, pasting and cajoling that I could devise, and the one constant is the happy, smiling 80C at idle etc.

and Mango - The paste application is perfect and the only attempt at overclocking made on this chip was to up the ASUS clocking prog from within windows one notch, which got me a blue screen after a few minutes flight, with the warning that the failure was due to overclocking - honest, I haven't touched the vcore. I'm pretty much attached to the idea of a faulty temperature sensor in the chip.  :)

Yeah, that wouldn't be the first time that those sensors are stuck. When the mount is o.k. and at default voltage this temps are quiet impossible. Maybe they forgot the thermal compound below the IHS... ?  The blue screen is an indicator of to low vcore or maybe wrong RAM settings. You usually can't go much higher with the E8500 without giving more juice.

The E8400 and the E8500 were notorious for having stuck sensors. If you are seeing idle temps of 80c and only a 3c increase in temps under load then i would bet my left nut that you have one of the chips with stuck sensors. you talk about 80c, but have you measured the temp of ech core? usometimes one is stuck and one is not.

Archived