What is the proper way to now gift a DVD?

randylb

Hi All,

I had been buying up all the SALE DVD's from ORBX I could find! FSS is running low from what they did have but more, different ones were to be had at PC-Aviator.

Then without noticing I had not yet downloaded my cross-grade from FSS, I purchased Siletz Bay again!

By the time I found my mistake, I had removed all the cellophane like a kid at Christmas rendering it un-returnable and now have an extra I'd like to gift.

I know the cross-grade service for DVD's isn't up and running yet. (Except for purchases from FSS already transferred)

I'm keeping the original Siletz Bay from FSS as it has already found its home in my Orbx Direct account.

But rather than have an expensive coaster, I'd like to pass it along to someone who hasn't bought it yet!

I'm sure Orbx was compensated when supplying DVD's to both places.

So, What is the approved way to gift a DVD to someone who could then use it with their ORBX items?

I'd thought of copying the invoice, black out all purchases except the gift and send with it.

When the cross-grade becomes available, I'll send my original PC-Aviator invoice with the gift airport blacked out.

Will that work?

Or will everything on a DVD order automatically be assigned to ones account?

Even if duplicated?

Sadly this isn't my first snafu!

At least it was on sale:)

Kind regards,

Randy

Hi Randy,

We are currently working on transferring Dvd's to digital format, this will also incur a small fee-based transfer. As to gifting the Dvd, It is my understanding that the said product is assigned to you, because you purchased it. I would suggest letting this one slide, if you did gift it or sell it to someone, Orbx is likely to ask for Proof of Purchase details in the account holders name that is assigned to the product, if this does not match up then the request will likely be denied.

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the reply.

I'm a bit unclear on the slide part, you mean like use it as a coaster?

I'd purchased the original one from FSS and was transferred into my account so I'm fine there.

I'd opened the duplicate before recognizing my mistake so cannot return it since opened.

I'm NOT selling it, (Gift like in no charge, no strings, valid purchase, etc,etc) rather I'm giving away to the first one who asks. I've received much help in this hobby at no charge, so time to pay back a bit. Can't understand how I'd use 2 anyway!

4 of the 5 airport dvd's are awaiting the cross-grade program to become active in my account. I would NOT include the duplicate when moving mine.

I WOULD include the receipt to the giftee with only the duplicate visible. (That's proof of purchase right?) "Gifted to John Doe on the day,,,,"

All the online stores allow you to order multiple quantites. Seems like more than one would be valid. (Though one per account should be enough)

Heck, It's never been in the DVD drive as yet!

I'm not trying to reduce sales to ORBX, but didn't they get their monies when the DVD's transferred to FSS and PC-Aviator?

I won't be paying their cross-grade fees though:)

I'd just rather see someone get the use of it than trash it.

But back to the original question< Does ORBX have a policy on how to gift a DVD? If not, are they planning on one?

I realize ORBX is moving away from DVD sales, but with so many at big discounts now, surely others may want to pick up some as well.

.....and maybe more than they need.

Thanks anyway!

Software licenses almost always prohibit the transfer of the purchased product. You don't own it....you have a license to use it. In the United States  the "first sale" doctrine says that a person who buys a legally produced copyrighted work may "sell or otherwise dispose" of the work as he sees fit, subject to some important conditions and exceptions. Software is one of those exceptions. That said, I'd gift it and not worry about it....Doug

Archived