Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme...

Hugh Johnston

I have an intel e8400 at 3.0Ghz and am going to buy the above but I want one with a fan. From doing a little bit of research they either come with an 1366 socket or 775 socket. I know that mine is the 775 socket but does it really matter and does anyone have one and how does it go?

I was testing 3.6Ghz and it gave me a massive increase in performance. I finally worked out that my cpu was letting me down and not gpu. So happy right now :)

the LGA 775 is basically from pentium 4 to Quad and 1366 is for the i7, the processors themselves are different sizes so different mounting brackets have to be supplied to fit over the cpu wether it be a 775 (1.47 × 1.47 inches) or 1366 (1.77 × 1.67 inches) CPU

DWho is right.

It's a bitch of a thing to install, but it seems to operate pretty efficiently. The fan for the i7 (that I bought) is very similar to a case fan. It is attached by the springs that encompass the CPU.

Supposed to be the most efficient way of cooling via a heatsink and fan. I can't argue about that.

Frank

I might suggest that you take a look at the pics on the earlier posts within this thread.

There are several of them and it might help you to understand how it is supposed to look and attach.

If you can't find them, here are some I prepared earlier....:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The instruction booklet is very vague and not so self-explanatory. It looks pretty flimsy when it's first installed, but as I say, it works just fine.

Frank

One word of caution: My U120 came pre-fitted by the firm I bought the PC from. It was only when I came to start overclocking it that I discovered the i7 was running at 92 degrees, stock speed!  :o (should be around mid 40s). Investigation showed that the base of the cooler was actually not flat, meaning very little of it was in contact with the CPU. A couple of hours spent with very fine grades of emery paper  got it to a dead flat mirror finish (it's called 'lapping' - there are lots of videos on UTube showing how to do it), and now it runs at the proper temps. (my i7 is not clocked at 4.0 with temps showing 77-78)

But reading google, suggests that deformed base plates are not uncommon with this cooler.

Sorry, mate, can't quite remember, but on the whole, It was something that was always used with the old cpu's like the P3 and the P4.

If I remember correctly the present coolers come with a kind of pre-done thermal paste on the cooler, but if you take them off more than once you should clean it off and use proper thermal paste, that's what I was taught, anyway. I've never had a problem with a cpu or a cooler and never had one fail as far back as the old XT days.

Frank

I bought a Noctua 120 (same thing? looks like it) last week, to replace my broken CM V8, it came with 1336/775 mounting brackets, and a tube of thermal paste (use a 5mm blob in the middle)

mine also came with 2 fans..for $90 total

The thing is the size of a football  ;D

To davenicoll - how did you get your 8400 to run at that speed? Do you have fast memory, or stock stuff? I've tried, using the Gigabyte M.I.T. in the bios, but mine won't move past the stock speed. It accepts the new settings, but then on reboot, shuts down & resets to BIOS defaults. I've love to know how you did yours! I've got a good power supply, I'm happy with the video card - memory is to be upgraded (see my specs) but should allow for at least a mini-reclock! Cheers, Malcolm.

To davenicoll - how did you get your 8400 to run at that speed? Do you have fast memory, or stock stuff? I've tried, using the Gigabyte M.I.T. in the bios, but mine won't move past the stock speed. It accepts the new settings, but then on reboot, shuts down & resets to BIOS defaults. I've love to know how you did yours! I've got a good power supply, I'm happy with the video card - memory is to be upgraded (see my specs) but should allow for at least a mini-reclock! Cheers, Malcolm.

Malcolm,

Did you change the vcore power. I was getting the same thing but just upped the voltage a tiny bit and I think that has solved the problem. I am sitting at 3.6Ghz on 1.25Volts. Make sure is it actually set to a voltage and not on auto.

Hi  Malcolm,

If you look at the screen shot above this post...That is all I did ;D ;D ;D

I changed no voltages just set in the BIOS..

But if my memory serves me right when I first did it yes,it pinged itself back to 3.0ghz...

I'm dammed if I can remember what though...age you see... >:( >:(

I'll rack the old grey matter and see what falls out!!

In the next few days  am doing a mini rebuild but the Processor is staying...upgrading the CPU cooler and going to try and squeeze some more out of her...let you know how I get on...

One thing I am starting to realise is heat is the ENEMY,so I am replacing all stock coolers and getting coolers for everything...going to stay on air though.

May even change my GTX 260 graphics card stock cooler for one of the super dooper ones (Not cheap tho' about £46.00)

I think with everything running much cooler not only will it be more stable but will last longer as well.

I've got to have a problem somewhere with my hardware! Tried all of your excellent suggestions, but - even if I crank it up the tinest bit (say to 3.20) the reboot thing happens. I've set the memory to 2.0 as suggested (I only have 800 memory, perhaps this is the problem?) but on re-boot, it starts to boot up, stops after the POST & shuts down - then re-sets itself & starts up with the defaults. I'm tearing what's left of my hair out - this is a good overclocking chip on a Gigabyte GA-EP35-DSP mainboard with M.I.T. memory checked Corsair matched 800 MHz memory. Grrrr!! >:(

Any suggestion folks? (he says in a milder tone ;)) - don't you just love computers?  :-\

Thanks for the recent post davenicoll, I'm actually flying to the UK to take part in a benefit concert next month, and as I used to live in MK (you'll know where that is) and work in Northampton - I should just bring the thing over! (Or drop it from 35,000 ft!) Heat - well, I've checked this & the processor is running at 34C, box temp about 40C. Argh!

Archived