For DJJose .. YWVA and KLGA comparison thread....

Jay Kae

Hey mate,

I thought I better post this outside of that other thread, not to hijack that one, I have done what you asked and a bit more

FSX with Manhattan X + FTX loaded, REX running at 4096 textures, YWVA loaded, all sliders maxed out including traffic. I loaded in the J41 by PMDG to put some more pressure on the system but it did not even twitch, here, I'll show you :)

YWVA, I took 40 shots and I have put up the lowest FPS for you to see here, I averaged calculating up all the FPS of those 40 shots and came up with a figure of 83.1

Posted Image

Second one from YWVA from inside the VC of the J41, again 40 shots, did the same thing again and averaged 82.3

Posted Image

ManhattanX, notoriously heavy on systems, again 40 shots, averaged 71.3

Posted Image

Second one from the Big Apple, again 40 shots from the VC of the J41, averaged 69.0

Posted Image

I think that proves the point that the hardware for FSX is available like I said in the other thread, it is just about affordability, I apologise for the size of the shots by the way lol

Power Supply: 1 x ThermalTake 1500W Toughpower Power Supply, 14cm Fan - Modular

Motherboard: 1 x D5400XS

2x LGA771, Intel 5400 Express, 1600 FSB, 4x FBDIMM DDR2-800, 4x PCI-Ex16, 4x SATA-II, 2x eSATA, GigLAN, 8Chl, Firewire, EATX

CPU: 2 x Core 2 Extreme QX9775 Quad Core (3.2GHz) - LGA771, 1600 FSB, 12MB L2 Cache, 45nm, 150W

For Intel Desktop Board DX5400 only

Memory - RAM: 4 x 4096MB PC2-5300 667MHz Fully Buffered ECC DDR2 RAM - CL5

Hard Drives - Internal: 1 x 1000GB 7200rpm Serial ATA-II-300 HDD

Hard Drives - Internal: 3 x Western Digital 300GB 10,000rpm Serial ATA-II-300 w. 16MB Cache (WD3000GLFS) Velociraptor

Video Card: 2 x Gigabyte Radeon HD 4870X2 - 2GB DDR5

512-bit, 2x DVI, HDTV - PCI-Ex16 v2.0

Nowadays I am running Windows 7 64bit and I have added a SSD to run FSX installations from.

$'s ... well let's just say you could buy a small car with the same money but keep in mind, I do not have any other hobbies ;)

The RAM. That's what I'm thinking. I'll try 12gig of ram.

But, it could also be the i7. I don't think that FSX likes the i7.

I'm also weary of the Nvidia driver. The 182.50 does work but it requires a bufferpools tweak which decreases performance.

I'll will try more ram and possibly a 4870 x2.

Thanks again. This is something everyone who loves fsx should know. 80 fps, Just incredible!

Waaaiiiiiiiiitt! a minute here, Jay....nice try, I don't doubt at all you have a good PC here but what did the other readers misted here...and I did not?....SIMULATION PAUSED......haha

Now take a pic in flight with the V key only.....hummm not the same frame rate.....

Now you all try that, take a pic with the V key when the sim is running and look at the frame rate now same situation but this time with the simulation on pause and look at the frame rate again WOW higher frame rate, and if you look around the plane with the sim paused you'll find a view with higher frame rate.....

Jay...you little sneaky you.....ok good pics anyway

Here are some pics with the V key only......

http://Posted Image

At the time Sapphire did not have a card available that fitted the config. It is a shame you are not getting the performance out of it, whereas it should, don't forget my system is just over a year old now. You are welcome mate

I wish I would have known this a few months ago. I confident that now I will be able to put together a system that will get the performance I want.

Alain,

Thanks for your input. Your system is different.

Jay's motherboard is still around $500 US, RAM around $600 and the chip $1000. The only affordable item is the video cards.

Add a large SSD and you're talking big bucks. But, if it performs, then it's value is worth it.

Alain,

Jay's motherboard is still around $500 US, RAM around $600 and the chip $1000. The only affordable item is the video cards.

Add a large SSD and you're talking big bucks. But, if it performs, then it's value is worth it.

Hi! DJJose, I understand what you'r saying but your missing my point here, I was just trying to give Jay a friendly hard time here by saying everybody will almost double their frame rate by pausing the simulation before taking a picture, of course Jay's system is a very good one and I'm sure he can get some very good perf. out of it and the sky is the limit when talking about hardware.

You can spend $15,000.00 easy on a brand new system for FSX but that does not mean you'll get 75 FPS over Manhattan X without pausing the sim...... ;)

Now who said clouds where hard on a system.......

Two of those shots were taken with the V-key and are not paused as you can notice alain , the other two with a program that allows hotkey allocation, which in my case I have set up to pause the sim on pressing the print screen button :) To be quite frank, my sim does not seem to like to be paused, I actually drop frames lol unless it is over some desert somewhere or something. Also as you can notice the shots with the sim paused have the lower framerates :)

...you'll get 75 FPS over Manhattan X without pausing the sim...... ;) ...

That's right....

Posted Image

I only get 70FPS :P

Two of those shots were taken with the V-key and are not paused as you can notice alain

You'r quick Jay, hummm...did you take 2 of the shots between the flashing "simulation paused" ...... :-[

Lower frame rate with the simulator paused or not just mean a specific scenery is harder to render with a specific system...

Jay, we both know what we are talking about here right...... ;)    :P  None the less nice pics and nice frame rate BUT to be able to enjoy that king of frame rate you need a monitor like mine...... 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889102274 with a refresh rate of 240Hz.......eeeeeeeee  scary..  :)

Hey JayKae, maybe you could give me some advice, I got a skulltrail based upon your results and mine have been nowhere near as good.

My specs:

Power Supply: 1 x 1600W Power supply- Modular

Motherboard: 1 x D5400XS

2x LGA771, Intel 5400 Express, 1600 FSB, 4x FBDIMM DDR2-800, 4x PCI-Ex16, 4x SATA-II, 2x eSATA, GigLAN, 8Chl, Firewire, EATX

CPU: 2 x Core 2 Extreme QX9775 Quad Core (3.2GHz) - LGA771, 1600 FSB, 12MB L2 Cache, 45nm, 150W Overclocked to 4.0 Ghz

Memory - RAM: 2 x 4096MB PC2-5300 667MHz Fully Buffered ECC DDR2 RAM - 8 GB total

Hard Drives - Internal: 1 x 1000GB 7200rpm Serial ATA-II-for WD caviar black for storage

Hard Drives - Internal: 1 x Western Digital 300GB 10,000rpm Serial ATA-II-300 w. 16MB Cache (WD3000GLFS) Velociraptor  for fsx and OS

Video Card: 2GB GTX 285

I get the slightly better performance than my prior I7, sometimes it's worse...

Did you change anything in the BIOS?

Edit: for example I get 16 fps in Tasmania.

That's very interesting.

Very similar system with the exception of the video card and less RAM. Hmmmm.

Maybe the video card and/or driver might be the culprit of low fps?

Jay, I went back to the other posts and read all the other posts about your rig and all I can say is CONGRATULATIONS!

You certainly found a system that really rocks FSX. For a price off course. LOL

If I got all this right, that means that FSX takes advantage of multi cpu, more ram, and possibly SLI. Is this a fair assessment?

Thanks again for letting me see the light.

I would say so Jose but keep in mind there is nothing and I mean nothing else going on on that system other than FSX, it is a system purely for the sim

@Naveen, that is indeed strange, I did not fiddle with the BIOS either. Are you sure your processors are working together though?

Alain; heads up - you're enforcing your opinions on people and labouring points in this thread which are bordering on being annoying. Also, suggesting Jay Kae is cheating with his FPS scores is offensive and something we won't take kindly to.

Finally, to suggest that FSX should always be installed on a seperate partition to the OS is completely erroneous and misleading. There is no such requirement at all. I have Win7 + FSX on my C: drive and well .. you can see how it runs on the 4.0Ghz i7 920 from my blogs and other videos.

Again I reiterate - if people spent less time fiddling, tuning and tweaking, and just enjoyed their sim flying more, there would be less stress all round. You want the best performance? Spend more money. You cannot make a VW Beetle perform like a Ferrari no matter how much tweaking you do. In the end it will just cause major OS and system instability and you'll end up being frustrated and miserable.

I reinstall a virgin FSX + FTX probably 5-6 times a year, maybe more. These days, I accept what peformance the CPU gives me (overclocked to safe limits on air cooling) + Win7 64 (completely stock, untweaked, all Windows Updates applied daily) + FSX-SP2 (completely stock, untweaked) - and don't set my expectations any higher. FSX @ 20FPS cannot be compared to FS9 @ 60FPS - they are completely different animals and you should turn off the FPS counter and set the sliders for smoothness, not FPS bragging rights.

John,

I have what most consider a high-end machine. I'm at 30+ in most Dense areas and I can achieve over 60 in most other areas.

I want to know how I can get to 60 fps using FSX. Someone here has a system that apparently no one else has and is achieving the performance I want.

I'm willing to invest more money on RAM, video cards, power supply, etc. This has been very helpful.

Wel! Well! Well where should I start, first did you read this John....

Alain,

Hi! DJJose, I understand what you'r saying but your missing my point here, I was just trying to give Jay a friendly hard time here by saying everybody will almost double their frame rate by pausing the simulation before taking a picture, of course Jay's system is a very good one and I'm sure he can get some very good perf. out of it and the sky is the limit when talking about hardware.

You can spend $15,000.00 easy on a brand new system for FSX but that does not mean you'll get 75 FPS over Manhattan X without pausing the sim...... ;)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2: Nowhere did I imply Jay was cheating, if you can't make the difference between pulling somebody's leg and having a little fun??? I also think Jay can write me directly if he think I am implying he's cheating, I don't think the man as to be baby sit or somebody as to patronize him, last time I ckecked the man was old enough to call me on something he may take the wrong way or about something he think I was implying.........

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote from you:

Alain; heads up - you're enforcing your opinions on people and labouring points in this thread which are bordering on being annoying.

3: Enforcing?? What kind of power are you giving me here?? That is just my own opinion, people can take it or leave it but this is what I have experienced myself with hard drive and FSX.....now more power to you if you can run FSX on the same hard drive than your OS but for me that's a no go.

Quote from you:

Again I reiterate - if people spent less time fiddling, tuning and tweaking, and just enjoyed their sim flying more, there would be less stress all round. You want the best performance? Spend more money. You cannot make a VW Beetle perform like a Ferrari no matter how much tweaking you do. In the end it will just cause major OS and system instability and you'll end up being frustrated and miserable.

4: Now who's stress out here? Certainly not me, are you inforcing your opinion here by telling people to spend more money?? or your just expressing your own opinion? Again who's suggesting to others to spend less time fiddling, tuning and tweaking their own hardware....not me...is that why you have that king of thread....Tips Tricks & Techniques with something like "The super, duper, ultimate tweak; get the best smoothness and performance in FSX " or this one "Lance's Bufferpools Tweak (not fps limiter)" ?? What am I missing here?

Do you think I was living under a rock and I did not know smooth flight at 15 FPS will always be better than a flight at 60 FPS full of stuttering.....c'mon man give me a break here.

Just to be on the safe side here....Jay if you fell like I was implying you were cheating I'm very sorry because that was not my intention....

Now to end this.....a smooth flight at 70 FPS will always be better than a smooth flight at 25 FPS.....

John,

I have what most consider a high-end machine. I'm at 30+ in most Dense areas and I can achieve over 60 in most other areas.

I want to know how I can get to 60 fps using FSX. Someone here has a system that apparently no one else has and is achieving the performance I want.

I'm willing to invest more money on RAM, video cards, power supply, etc. This has been very helpful.

Hi DJ,

I don't know how to get 60FPS in FSX for you. I'm afraid there's not a definitive hardware spec which gives you that guarantee, since every single PC on the planet is different from the moment you crack the seal on the operating system installation DVD :)

Perhaps lots of money? Perhaps Jay's PC being exclusively used for FSX and nothing else? Perhaps the next set of perfect nVidia or ATI GPU drivers? Perhaps new gen Intel CPUs running 8 or 16 cores at 5.5Ghz? I don't know. And I'm not sure if anyone else does.

Either way, I don't get 60FPS on my i7 920 4.0Ghz everywhere anyway. My average (when I have been beta testing) at 2560x1600x32 resolution is about 18-26, which is smooth as butter for 95% of my flights and I don't need anything more. In some rural areas, or even at YSTW if running at lower resolution I can hit easily hit 60 FPS, but really, I don't have the red counter showing ever, except for lab-oriented testing of our products. I know if I wanted to be locked at 60FPS and have the red counter showing then it's pretty easy to do by being ruthless with the FSX sliders. I could have it locked at 60FPS forever if I wasn't too interested in eye candy.

There's a lot to be said for "just flying"

to paraphrase and adapt an old song ....

"If you can't be with the sim you love .... love the one you're with"

Too many options / drivers / tweaks.

It all ends in envy .....

Go figure ... sometimes my sim is smooth, other times for reasons which are unfathomable it stutters.

Currently (touch wood) it is behaving itself.

Jay,

One more question before I order the parts. I've already began my search on Ebay. My only hobby is being CFII and I love my simulator.

How's the software installed right now? Example OS in Raid O using Raptors, FSX in SSD drive?

OR is FSX installed with OS? Etc.

That should do it.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

If anyone else other than Jay has a skulltrail setup can they contact me please. Myself and other bloke over at Avsim are really struggling trying to get the frame rates Jay has using our Skulltrail systems.

I have PM'd Jay about the issue already and nothing concrete came out of the discussion, although he has been very helpful.

I have mine overclocked to 4Ghz using 800Mhz memory at 4-4-4-15. I have tried Vista, Windows 7 RC and WinXP64. I have also updated the BIOS and drivers to the latest version. I have tried the ATI cards Jay uses but found them dreadful when compared to the GTX285's.

I know Peter Dowson of FSUIPC fame had dropped his skulltrail in favour of the i7 at 4.5Ghz.

This is a last ditch attempt at trying to find why it appears that every Skulltrail owner I have spoken too cannot get the performance Jay has.

Thanks in advance

Steve

I also gave up on tweaking a long time ago... I either ended up with worse performance than before or with some problems that weren't evident right away. At the moment I run a completely untweaked config and everything runs like you would expect from my kind of system. It gives me good framerates around the OrbX airports and smooth sailing everywhere else. And I enjoy FSX much more since I gave up digging into config files and getting frustrated by trying tweaks that only seem to work for the one who posted them but never for me. I'm sick of placebos. ;)

Archived