Global Runway & Approach Lights.

Bernard Nieberg

I am working with a recent FSX reinstall.

The only scenery addons so far are from Orbx as listed below and 2 airports from Simaddons (CYHZ & CYHM)

My Global runway and approach lights are very small and dim, impossible to see in IMC unless you are very close.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

If this affects all airports you could try adjusting these values in the FSX.cfg under section [Display]:

RUNWAY_LIGHTS_APPROACH_SCALAR=x
RUNWAY_LIGHTS_STROBE_SCALAR=x
RUNWAY_LIGHTS_SURFACE_SCALAR=x
RUNWAY_LIGHTS_VASI_SCALAR=x   

where x can be any number greater 0; x=1 means default.

Hello thunderstreak,

I note that  Meerkat  only suggests whole "N"  or "X" values, but you will would be better to experiment with decimal sizes "N.n" or "X.x" as the sample below, decimal will give you a full range with slight variation 0.1 through 1.2

[Display] 

RUNWAY_LIGHTS_SURFACE_SCALAR=N.n
RUNWAY_LIGHTS_VASI_SCALAR=N.n
RUNWAY_LIGHTS_APPROACH_SCALAR=N.n
RUNWAY_LIGHTS_STROBE_SCALAR=N.n

N.n  - represents a "size value" you can give to the light source, you can start with the sample below and make adjustments to each until you are happy with the size's of each light when viewed from reasonable distance and close-up. Be careful setting values too small (0.1) they will be pinpoint small, or too large (1.2) they may appear as big balls of light, particularly where you would wish to see individual PAPI or VASI / T-VASI red or white coloured lamps. I forget what the default sizes are but you can experiment with values between 0.1 and 1.2

ie; 0.1  0.2  0.3  0.4  0.5  0.6  0.7  0.8  0.9  1.0  1.1  1.2

Put these entries in the [Display] section of your FSX.cfg - found in C:\Users\{yourusername}\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX

These entries will not appear in the standard FSX.cfg they must be added by the user.

[Display] 

RUNWAY_LIGHTS_SURFACE_SCALAR=0.7        //edge, center, end, touchdown, runways

RUNWAY_LIGHTS_VASI_SCALAR=0.7                 //VASI, T-VASI, PAPI, lights

RUNWAY_LIGHTS_APPROACH_SCALAR=0.7      //approach bars

RUNWAY_LIGHTS_STROBE_SCALAR=0.7         //RAIL's and ODAL's

OK Jeff, in my math lectures the symbol x normally meant a real number, not a natural number...

If your new FSX install goes along with new hardware, more precisely a high DPI display, you would have to adjust the runway lights as well as the ORBX street lights (look for ORBX lights configurator) - I set mine to "very small".

Thanks for all of the help gentlemen!

The fsx.cfg light adjustment is very helpful.

Since my post here I've also been experimenting with different halo.bmp files from REX 4 and various other downloads.

I am making progress, and with a little more tweaking I'll be where I need to be!

Going to reduce the size of my ORBX lights next.

Cheers!

My pleasure thunderstreak,  glad to add a little value here and there. All the best with your Global lights, I'll assume you have the Global Lights Configurator installed already, when you make the perfect light size, colour variation, and brightness to your liking, be sure to save it to a profile.

Archived