Williams Lake Not Frozen?

BeaverDriver

I was flying around Williams Lake, BC (CYWL) for the first time in winter and even in January I notice the lake isn't frozen. All the other ones around it are, and IRL it does freeze. Is there a specific reason for it not to freeze, and if not, is there something that can be done to freeze it?

Thanks a bunch.

Glenn

I tried CYWL today. There's really not a frozen lake. So I have to set the parameters Vector Global water to winter water areas were freezing. It did not help. Still there was no ice and snow. So I changed the good weatherto heavy snow once it was all white and freezing lake. Then I gave again nice weather and everything remains white and the water is frozen in the lake Williams. I think it's a bug in the Prepar 3D v3.4 or scenery Orbx Pacific Fjords.

Best regads

Karoly

Hi Glenn,

indeed, the lake isn't included in the file set that "freezes" waterbodies during the winter months. Obviously, there's a large amount of variability which specific rivers and lakes freeze over in a given winter. We needed to come up with a threshold parameter that works for most locations in an FTX Region and can be used with our the GIS tools. For FTX Northern Rockies that was a minimum altitude of 600m ASL and Williams Lake lies about 30m lower than that.

I've put your request on our to-do list for a future service pack for NRM. However, the fix isn't particularly straightforward and we don't currently have any service pack in the pipeline for NRM so please don't get your hopes up that this will be addressed in the near future.

Cheers, Holger

" We needed to come up with a threshold parameter that works for most locations in an FTX Region and can be used with our the GIS tools. For FTX Northern Rockies that was a minimum altitude of 600m ASL and Williams Lake lies about 30m lower than that. "

Oh, no problem then! Piece of cake to fix :D

Kidding aside, it's not a big deal really Holger. I wasn't sure if that was something that was easy to fix or not. I did think that by January it would be iced over, but we can always pretend it's the site of a massive uranium waste disposal facility and thus never really freezes (but is VERY easy to find at night :lol:).  I wouldn't lose sleep over it, particularly if I'm the only one that's noticed it (which looks like the case). I just thought I'd mention it and if it was simply a quick line of code then it might go out as a small patch. That's obviously not the case.

Many thanks for the reply Holger. Appreciate your time. Have a good one.

Glenn

Archived