Military Paint for the A2A Piper J-3 Cub

Absolutely cracking job there Jigsaw, downloading as I type. Excellent work and thanks very much for sharing.  8)

I had a quick look at the paint kit in Photoshop Elements yesterday and soon found this painting lark has more to it than meets the eye, I just wanna play around with it now so I can actually find out to do the basics, I don't think I converted the changes I made to the .PSD file into the correct format afterwards though as my quick test did not show in FSX, I just ended up with an all black plane.  :(

Thanks guys! Glad you like it.

I don't think I converted the changes I made to the .PSD file into the correct format afterwards though as my quick test did not show in FSX, I just ended up with an all black plane.  :(

The Cub only takes textures in the DDS format (DXT 5). You can use the little tool DXTBmp save 'em that way. You also have to flip the texture tiles vertically before saving them as DDS. This was the result at the beginning of my work, when I didn't do that:

Posted Image

:D

Right I have been playing with the Piper Cub paint kit tonight and although I have done some very basic recolouring as a test I cannot for the life of me get the alpha channel to do as I expect. I am assuming that the alpha channel is basically used to create shadowed area on the plane by having a gradiented layer that goes from black (dark) to transparent? I have found what I believe to be the alpha layer in the .psd paint kit file, but when I use this layer for the alpha in Dxtbmp the highlight/shadow ends up round the wrong way. If I use Dxtbmp to invert the alpha layer then I basically end up with a completely grey plane - i.e. tyres and everything. Can someone tell me what the hell I am doing wrong?  :'(

You are right that the Alpha Channel  uses gradient colours from black to white for different levels of transparency (just like a layer mask) but it isn't used for shadows. Instead it regulates the amount of reflection off the aircraft's hull. If you make the Alpha Channel completely black you get 100% reflection of the environment map and you when you make it absolutely white you get no reflections at all, basically just the bland textures.

If you are fine with the standard level of reflection you shouldn't have to touch the Alpha Channel at all. Just save your paint as Targa or as Bitmap when you are done editing; these formats include the Alpha Channel when saving (make sure the Alpha Cannel box is ticked in the save dialogue and save it as 32bit file) . Once you open the Bitmap or Targa file with DXTBmp it should import and apply the Alpha Channel automatically. Then you just have to flip the image (including the alpha) vertically and save it as a .DDS texture.

You are right that the Alpha Channel  uses gradient colours from black to white for different levels of transparency (just like a layer mask) but it isn't used for shadows. Instead it regulates the amount of reflection off the aircraft's hull. If you make the Alpha Channel completely black you get 100% reflection of the environment map and you when you make it absolutely white you get no reflections at all, basically just the bland textures.

If you are fine with the standard level of reflection you shouldn't have to touch the Alpha Channel at all. Just save your paint as Targa or as Bitmap when you are done editing; these formats include the Alpha Channel when saving (make sure the Alpha Cannel box is ticked in the save dialogue and save it as 32bit file) . Once you open the Bitmap or Targa file with DXTBmp it should import and apply the Alpha Channel automatically. Then you just have to flip the image (including the alpha) vertically and save it as a .DDS texture.

Ah, you reply has answered a few questions for me and poses a degree of problems at the same time.  :-\

Firstly thank-you for explaning the alpha channel for me it was starting to occur to me that the layer from the paint kit I was using was not the in fact what was supposed to be the alpha channel at all and now you have explained the alpha channel to me it's become a little clearer. Basically assuming you was want the paint to give a degree of reflection then you need to have an layer to use for the alpha layer that covers the parts of the plane that should have reflection, i.e. body of the plane, but not the tyres for example. 100% black giving you the most reflective surface and 100% white with no reflection, with gredient fills i.e. shades of grey between black to white will give you a percentage of reflection between maximum (black) and minimum/nothing (white) yes?

When I was using DXTBmp I was finding it was always reducing the quality of my paint because the output I can get as a BMP is restricted to 24bit using the software I was using (Xara Xtreme Pro 5), and subsequently DXTBmp would halve the image size/resolution from 4096 down to 2048. Unfortunately, although I have Photoshop Elements (V2) it does not offer all the support as Photoshop when it comes to editing PSD files although it does have the ability for me to save bmp files at 32bit.

Basically assuming you was want the paint to give a degree of reflection then you need to have an layer to use for the alpha layer that covers the parts of the plane that should have reflection, i.e. body of the plane, but not the tyres for example. 100% black giving you the most reflective surface and 100% white with no reflection, with gredient fills i.e. shades of grey between black to white will give you a percentage of reflection between maximum (black) and minimum/nothing (white) yes?

That sounds about right. The Alpha Channel can't be found among the normal layers. It's in the Channels register below the RGB, Red, Green and Blue Channels.

When I was using DXTBmp I was finding it was always reducing the quality of my paint because the output I can get as a BMP is restricted to 24bit using the software I was using (Xara Xtreme Pro 5), and subsequently DXTBmp would halve the image size/resolution from 4096 down to 2048. Unfortunately, although I have Photoshop Elements (V2) it does not offer all the support as Photoshop when it comes to editing PSD files although it does have the ability for me to save bmp files at 32bit.

You should only use DXTBmp for the final conversion of the Photoshop saved BMP/TGA file. You shouldn't use DXTBmp's option to Export To/Import From an editor at all, because  that leads to said degradation of texture quality. Instead only use Photoshop to load the PSD and to save the BMP/TGA files. Only when you are ready to convert your texture for use with FSX as a DDS texture (DXT 5 compression!) should you use DXTBmp.

Archived