No blending mask

mole_man99

Hi

I have ORBX England region and Base plus Global LC. I started to notice there was no blending between textures, then very obvious where snow cover ended.

Thought I would have a look at the M tiles, but non will open with imagetool. I get a message 'access violation at address xxxxxxxx. Write of address xxxxxxxx'. This is only for the M tiles, the others open OK.

Would this be the reason for no blending at edges, and any thoughts on what to try?

Hi there,

indeed, those M-tiles should load into Imagetool.exe. However, you will get that message when you try to load them into DXTBmp.exe because those particular files aren't in a DXT compressed format.

Are you perhaps using Addon Converter X? We've seen cases where it has converted the ground texture blendmasks into a file format that makes them unusable by FSX and thus one ends up with straight edges;  http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/57316-sak-texture-problem/?hl=pavd

Specific to snow-covered textures though, the lack of blending can also have another cause, namely the current weather situation; see http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/114325-ftx-global-textures-changing-mid-flight/

Cheers, Holger

I don't have that program, nor have I tried to change the m tiles.

The access violation was a red herring. They do open in imagetool, not dtxbmp of course.

I tried using the original terrain cfg, but no change. At the same time I unchecked all orbx from library, but still no blending of snow at the edges.

I went back to default to see what you get with edge of snow and it felt more believable with dusty edges where snow meets clear land.

It seems to be a case of beauty in the eye of the beholder, but it would be great if orbx textures could achieve the same dusting of snow at the edges effect.

I also noted that the transition from field to mountain is very harsh in the lake district area in orbx England, so it's not just snow I am looing at.

Archived