Fuzzy Ground Textures Up Close, FSX with FTX Global and REX4

ajlien

Hi, I'm sorry, I'm really new with this flight sim stuff, so I apologize in advance if I'm asking a stupid question. I have downloaded FTX Global Base, OpenLC and Trees HD, as well as REX4+ Soft Cloud and FreeMeshX after being disappointed that FSX looked nothing like what I saw on Youtube lol. So far, the downloads have greatly enhanced my experience, but I am having a ground texture issue where the ground in the distance looks great, but closer to the aircraft [in Spot view and in cockpit view], the ground texture is extremely grainy. In the snow [pictured in my screenshots], it looks like an old TV with the fuzzies. I'm hoping someone can help me figure out what setting I need to tweak? I thought maybe it was the mesh scenery I just added to the scenery library, but when I turned that off in my settings, it still looked the same. I turned on anti-aliasing to the max and it helped a tad, but still looks about the same. 

It's not the worst thing, but I feel like there is something simple I'm missing that would make it look better. Thanks!20170103172542_1.jpg20170103173002_1.jpg

Someone earlier asked to show my settings, so here they are. I've tinkered with the mesh complexity, resolution, etc by turning some settings down a bunch, but I didn't notice a discernable difference. Even though it looked a lot blockier [old] before I added anything, I didn't have this problem with the original steam version [that's the FSX I'm using]. I have an i7-5930k and 2x8 gb ram with a gtx980 card. 

Settings.jpg

Did all that, and nothing changed as far as the ground texture goes. It doesn't appear to be any setting, at least not a setting in FSX specifically. I'm thinking maybe one of my addons is the problem? I haven't had any performance issues even with the settings all the way high, but I'm doing pretty simple missions offline so far. I'll consider adjusting those when my performance starts suffering.

So I did more google hunting, and I got a partial fix at least going through the DirectX10 Scenery Fixer and Nvidia Inspector, tweaking anti-aliasing settings. Still a little staticky, but it's more reasonable. If anyone has any other tips, I'll still take them. Thanks!

Hi, are you using REX 4 and WWAHD (World Wide Airports HD)  by chance?

Mabey I'm off here, but are you referring to your terrain bump map setting? If so that can be changed in ORBX via the AERO tool or in REX 4 settings

If I am way off then please disregard 

Cheers

Greg Z

I think you're on the right path, thanks. I just checked my diagnostics and Scenery Fixer says I have non standard scenery texture [I did switch them out with an alternative] with no mipmaps [?] and that texture will shimmer badly/look grainy. So I've identified the issue but I'm still not sure what to do now lol

22 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

Mabey I'm off here, but are you referring to your terrain bump map setting? If so that can be changed in ORBX via the AERO tool or in REX 4 settings

Cheers

Greg Z

I'm trying to figure out how to get/access the AERO tool

Thanks everyone, after going into the Scripts folder, I found the folders containing several different detail1.bmp files, and I copied and pasted the Fine one into my scenery folder. It's all better! 

Went from this: 20170104225101_1.jpg

To this: 20170104233348_1.jpg

Archived