fsx2004 set up using nHancer?

Hank

Hi Friends,

I am at my wits end.... I've been having all sorts of probs with FSX crashing all the time after about 30 minutes flying. I have un-installed for the third time (the previous two times the problem has persisted). So I have ordered a new version of acceleration from Adrian, as I think the problem might have been there. In the meantime I am reverting to FS2004 on my XP operating system but the shimmering and jaggies on the aircraft wings are awful. I have installed nHancer to see if I could get it better, but so far not much success. I know we're all into FSX now (and I will be again shortly I hope) but in the meantime my addiction to flight simming needs a daily fix even if it is FS9.

Can anybody help with settings to get rid of the jaggies at least?

Cheers

Hank

If I might be so bold, if you have something causing an issue and this appears to be the case then you can uninstall and re-install 50 times and not repair the error. So you will need to research what or has caused memory issues in this fashion before.

Hank is this issue occurring after a virgin install of FSX or after you have reinstalled some of your additional scenery.

To Jay,

Thanks , those settings have made all the difference in FS2004... at least I can see the ground textures clearer now as well. Still a little bit of jaggies on the wing, but certainly a lot better.

Maurice,

Thanks for your input as well. When you say a "virgin" install, do you mean a new purchased FSX or my original one completely being reinstalled and not using the repair button?

I re-install using the registration number on the package. I then only have been re-installing all the ORBX add ons and Ozx airports and REX2. That is far as I have gone each re-install. I did also add Tamworth to the last effort; but that add on is very FPS hungry, and I couldn't even move along the ground. Moved to Cessnock and had no trouble. I'm seriously thinking about using FS2004 until the new year, when I'll get a new FSX computer with Windows 7  64bit, i7 and GTX 285 nVidia and any other bells and whistles that will be out around about March 2010. I have a job as Santa Claus at Harvey Norman in Hobart, and with that money Santa's gonna buy himself a new rig....I'm sick of flying around with Rudolph and the gang... I want full on functionality with FSX and ORBX and REX set to the max. That will be heaven.

Cheers

Hank

PS Once again,thanks for your efforts in helping this computer novice.

;D

A "virgin", or "clean" install; means a new installation from disc, with no add ons. Which disc doesn't matter. Defrag after installing of course.

Also, after uninstalling a problem installation, a registry cleaning is a good idea. If you have installed new video drivers, make sure the old drivers are compoletely removed!!! With Nvidia old drivers  hanging around can cause no end of problems, including those "jaggies".

Good Luck

Sue

Hi Sue, Jay:

I wonder if you have something Sue? I did a "virgin" install of FSX, defraged and used my Registry Cleaner. Did not install anything else at all except FSUIPC and TrackIR. Went for a flight and sure enough; about half an hour in the "white screen" saying Flight Simulation had a critical error and had to shut down. So that was with nothing else installed.

Question: I did download the latest driver for the nVidia card I have, the GForce 8800 Ultra.

It seems to work alright, but could that be the culprit? If it wasn't compatible with the  computer wouldn't it just crash near startup, even if it would work at all?

Sue, how do I find out if I have two drivers still installed?

The saga continues and I'm just getting more frustrated not being able to use ORBX.

Cheers

Hank

Now it's gotten worse.... I re-installed nVidia 182.5 driver (which was the previous one) and now the white screen appeared just after take off.( 5 minutes)

I give up... I installed a new Acceleration Pack from Adrian and also GEX USA Canada & Alaska.

I think I'm going to retire from flight simming for a while till I find a better computer. The grass is starting to grow again, so that will keep me out most days. 37 acres to look after.

Bye all.

Hank

;D

You need a little tool called Driver Cleaner. It sounds as if you are not uninstalling one driver, rebooting, then installing rhe new driver. Just installing a new driver on top of the old will always cause problems. If you didn't go into control panel and uninstall the driver, you have several installed by now. If you get a new computer, and do the same thing, you will have the same oroblem. It's not an Acceleration Pack problem, nor a "computer" problem. It's operator error.

Sue

Sue,

Thanks, you've helped me again ;D

Wolter, I followed your instructions to the letter using Driver Sweeper as you had mentioned in an earlier posting. Between you and Sue I think I've beaten the problem. I've been flying around Alaska for about an hour and a half, take offs and landings and different weather patterns; anything to make me try and get a white screen. Smooth flying the whole time.

Sue I think you must've been right with your diagnosis,as I have installed about four or five driver updates thinking they would give me better frame rates. All the time I was degrading the Nvidia graphics card. It is through this forum I seem to be learning a lot more about my computer as well as flight simming. Everyone is sooooo helpfull. Great to be a member.

Thanks again,

Cheers

Hank.

P.S. Now to reload all my addons, starting with ORBX and REX.

Archived