CTD after installing FTX Global

Jakob Böhme

Hello!
I'm a new customer of FTX Global, which I got yesterday. After three flights with it installed in Prepar3D, I must say that I've got several CTDs on every flight. I know this is caused by FTX Global, as I havn't installed anything else and everything was working fine before. I even redownloaded it and reinstalled it from the new files after the first few crashes. The first ones (yesterday) where a g2d.dll CTD and Net Framework errors that shut the sim down. After reinstalling, I've gotten OOMs (but from RAM I believe, as I had enough VAS available). The error was the usual "Your computer has run out of memory" - but, as mentioned, with free VAS and no OOM symptoms (like missing textures i.e.). Before the first crash Windows even warned me and said that I should close Prepar3D so no data would be lost.

What should I do?

-----------------

My rig:
i7-6700K 4GHz

8 Gb RAM (I will be adding 8 Gbs soon)

GTX 970

Prepar3D latest version (incl. hotfix)

PS. I have automatic pagefile management turned on in Windows.

Hi Jakob, welcome to the forums,

FTX Global Base is only a default texture replacement and will have almost no affect on VAS. A CTD crash and an OOM "Your computer has run out of memory" crash are two different things....it sounds like you have more issues than FTX Global is capable of creating.

What other products are you running on your sim?

What texture (1024, 2048, 4096) and LOD settings are you using?

Is your Orbx libs up to date?

What OS are you using?

Cheers

Doug

I'm running the Aerosoft Airbus, AS16, Adobe reader (charts), Vpilot and some other apps.
I'm using 2048 textures and max LOD. This has never been a problem before though...

I'm not sure about ORBX Libs. Is it needed if I only have FTX Global and no other ORBX product?

Windows 10 (not sure about the exact version as I'm away from my computer at the moment.

Thanks!
Jakob Böhme

Are you using FTX Central 3? If so it should prompt you to update the libs. If you are not using FTXC3, that would probably be a big contributor to your CTD's. Yes the Orbx libs are required for Global.

The 2048 textures with max LOD will definitely cause your OOM ( "Your computer has run out of memory" ) issue. If you were not having OOM's before you were just very lucky and FTX Global was just the portion of the straw that broke the camels back. :)

Have a look at the below link just in case you are not using FTXC3.

I am using FTX Central 3. Strangely enough, I've been able to fly to a lot of different airports (including FRAv2 etc) with different aircraft without ever having an OOM, on those exact same settings. I've never gone over 85% VAS with these settings, so I don't think FTX Global just "broke the camels back"... I didn't OOM because of VAS (I believe it's RAM but I'm not an expert on this).

Last time I opened FTX Central it didn't prompt me to update. Is there any way to reinstall it? I was not able to find any uninstall button...

OOM's are an out of VAS only issue, It would be very hard to run out of RAM if you are just running your sim. 

To remove and reinstall FTXC3, 

delete C:\Users\Your name\AppData\Local\Orbx and

C:\Users\Your name\AppData\Local\Temp\Orbx.

Then re-install FTX Central v3 from the link

on the Orbx Direct home page.

I'm not only running my sim as I've described above. Also, I haven't actually run out of VAS. I monitor my VAS usage and it has never gone over 85%. I meant reinstalling ORBX Libs. I tried going into the "product page" inside FTX Central, but the uninstall button is greyed out.

AFAIK I've turned off all the default background apps in Windows 10. I also restart my computer before flying, and I keep an eye out for anything running that isn't supposed to be running. Like I've said, I've never had an issue before downloading FTX Central and installing FTX Global. Thanks, I will give that a try. But I I'd like to completely remove ORBX libs (like for a complete reinstall) how should I do that?

Ok, like I mentioned above FTX Global and libs will have almost no affect on PC performance, even the weakest of PC's have no problems running Global, it actually has been more known to improve performance because it is a much better quality set of textures, and I don't know of a way to uninstall just the libs, so I would uninstall everything Orbx and start over.

Or....just untick\deactivate them in your scenery library and trouble shoot more. But I would run the migration troubleshooter first.

Archived