Can't install Global Base into FSX -SE folder on seperate drive

randylb

Hi All,

I'm stuck!

I'd procured a separate SSD to install Windows 10 on as Bootcamp on my Retina iMac. I have a working FSX Disc version with photo scenery on it and am trying to use my FSX-SE version with Orbx on a separate drive (D). All steam apps are on my C drive EXCEPT FSX-SE, which is on the D drive, but the install consistently points to the C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/FSX, but the FSX isn't there! It is on the D:/Steam Library/steamapps/common/FSX.

It was tweaked the way I like it so far and would hate to do over again. The C drive is nearly full.

I cannot get past, nor change the install destination. Steam is on the C drive, just not FSX due to size constraints.

I couldn't really understand similar posts about linking files elsewhere because FSX-SE isn't on my C drive anywhere, just the D drive. Every other program would allow me to point to the FSX location but this is the first time I've seen one create one where it doesn't exist!

I heard it HAD to install to my FSX folder and I did select the location to be FSX:SE(in parallel with FSX:Boxed)

Should I just let it run and then copy everything over to the D drive? That seems counter intuitive??

Probably something simple I just can't see from here now!

After Global base, I have Vector, LC NA, PNW and several airports to add so I'll need more space than comfortably remains on my C drive:(

Any ideas how to accomplish this or any workarounds?

Many thanks for any help!!

Order #FSS0514615

Hello,

Welcome to the forums.

The FTX installers do not write registry entries for simulators but instead they read them.

At some point you have installed the Steam Edition to C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/FSX,

that is the only way that that registry entry can be created.

Try using the FTX Registry Fix tool, see if it will amend the entry for FSX Steam edition to your D drive

location.

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the quick reply!

You are correct! I had deleted it from the C drive origionally, but Steam had evidently re-downloaded it back!

A cherry version, not mine.

So since I couldn't get the mountain to Mohammed,,,

I copied over all my files to the Steam version on the C drive, It's almost full! I renamed the FSX-SE on the external drive to FSX1 as a safety precaution until things work correctly.

I tried the ORBX registry tool, It recognizes the Boxed FSX on C correctly, but cannot work with the steam version??

It gives me :An Error Occurred, Requested registry access is not allowed,  pic attached

I've no idea what that means!

I did run CCleaner between reboots to correct registry errors and nothing is jumping out at me.

I can play it, and install Orbx base on it but when FTX Central loads, problems! Can't find the ORBX folder?

Any ideas what to try next?

Thanks!

ORBX Error.PNG

C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/FSX

The origional location it first tried when mine resided on a different drive so I copied it over to the one I though it wanted. I still have the origional on the different drive but currently disconnected.

For what it's worth, I downloaded FTX Central 3 and it DOES recognize my FTX-SE install. I haven't tried to run it yet, my downloads for new scenery keep resetting/interrupted (always over 66% too). Strangely the ORBX registry fix tool still throws the same error as before?

I could only complete the download of Europe LC and a few airports. Everything else aborted in the final stages of downloading.

Should I just give up and reinstall from scratch?

I'd like to use the new items I'd bought, especially now that they can be had for much less:(

Everything had worked fine until I moved Windows to an SSD in USB3.0 enclosure 2 weeks ago.

FTX Central3 looks great but for me right now grossly underperforms what FTX Central 2 did.

Archived