Edit airport

Rimshot

Hi all,

Recently I purchased EDVY. When I did my first flight there I found out the airport has a combined tower/ground frequency. Also the airport is controlled, so tower gives clearances. In reality the airport is uncontrolled and has a single frequency. Besides this I also discovered a lot of airports in Germany area have the wrong frequencies. So my question is; can I edit these? I have downloaded and setup Airport Design Editor, but from this point on I could use some guidance :)

Please bear with me, I'm learning here. If this is not the right place let me know.

In the meantime I have managed to change the frequency at EDVY. I made a backup of the bgl file first. Then I opened it with ADE, and in the Comm list I changed the frequency from tower to unicom. Then I recompiled with the same name and placed the file in the GEN scenery folder. All good.

Now another question springs to mind about the other wrong frequencies, at EDWE for example. The unicom frequency there is 118.6, however in P3D the ATC menu gives a traffic frequency of 122.9. Because of my succes with EDVY I thought this would be an easy fix as well, but in the ADE comm list of EDWE the frequency is 118.6 just as it should be. It is listed as FSS. How is it possible P3D only gives 122.9? :unsure: I managed to get the correct 118.6 frequency in the ATC menu, but for it to do so I had to change the 118.6 frequency from FSS to unicom and after that recompile the file...

Don't worry, You can set all frequencies to your liking or RW settings.

For example: Set EDWE 118.60 Emden Info, and change the current FSS to Bremen Radar 123.92. (Tune it and make sure you don't have a working service there.)

Bear in mind that FSX/P3D ATC services are limited and won't present you with all frequencies on the display box. FSS might only be available during an IFR plan.

NOTE: If you add an ATIS to any airport make sure you put the correct ICAO code on Name. (for example: EDDF Not Frankfurt)

Regards.

1 hour ago, Rimshot said:

Please bear with me, I'm learning here. If this is not the right place let me know.

In the meantime I have managed to change the frequency at EDVY. I made a backup of the bgl file first. Then I opened it with ADE, and in the Comm list I changed the frequency from tower to unicom. Then I recompiled with the same name and placed the file in the GEN scenery folder. All good.

To correct myself here, I placed the recompiled file back in the EDVY directory under FTX Global ofcourse.

1 hour ago, ramonb said:

Don't worry, You can set all frequencies to your liking or RW settings.

For example: Set EDWE 118.60 Emden Info, and change the current FSS to Bremen Radar 123.92. (Tune it and make sure you don't have a working service there.)

Bear in mind that FSX/P3D ATC services are limited and won't present you with all frequencies on the display box. FSS might only be available during an IFR plan.

NOTE: If you add an ATIS to any airport make sure you put the correct ICAO code on Name. (for example: EDDF Not Frankfurt)

Regards.

Thanks Ramon, but do you know why P3D, when I select EDWE in the ATC menu, gives me a traffic frequency of 122.9? In the ADE comm list of the EDWE bgl file the only frequency is FSS 118.6? Where does this difference come from?

28 minutes ago, Rimshot said:

Thanks Ramon, but do you know why P3D, when I select EDWE in the ATC menu, gives me a traffic frequency of 122.9? In the ADE comm list of the EDWE bgl file the only frequency is FSS 118.6? Where does this difference come from?

As I understand it: When P3D or FSX  does not find an appropriate airport traffic frequency on a BGL file it assigns a default frequency so you can simulate the airport info-traffic, in this case 122.90

To fix that, Using ADE

Make sure you have (add or modify) 118.60 as UNICOM for EDWE, name it EMDEN

and add another entry as FSS for the Bremen Radar 123.92, Aldo name it EMDEN or BREMEN (I believe it does not matter which one you use in this case)

Furthermore, P3D seems to have messed up many Flight Service Frequencies. You can test that by Requesting Flight Following -> Most times, the voice on ATC will handle You to one frequency and the ATC menu window will show you another one. (If you tune the first one you won't get a connection, you have to use the latter or click on it in the ATC window.)

I don't have GEN yet since I'm waiting for Germany South to buy the whole Germany, so ATM, I can't check that ORBX file.

7 minutes ago, ramonb said:

As I understand it: When P3D or FSX  does not find an appropriate airport frequency on a BGL file it assigns a default frequency so you can simulate the airport info-traffic, in this case 122.90

Thanks again. Well, browsing some frequencies of the airports with Plan-G most of them are labeled FSS, which means I'll get 122.9 at all of them. To get all the correct frequencies is a lot of editing with all the smaller fields in northern Germany :o

Archived