Orbx and 737-200 Milviz

Louis

Any one around that have this bird using the gravel kit in some of the Orbx strips cause I don't know of any ? This thing is a hand full to learn I'm finding ! I bought it cause it was on sale but I really thought there would be more tutorials on the auto and fmc, but it is a real good model.

Ha OK  Dominique, i'll stick to the 77 and try these strips . I have SAK and LC NA. The PMDG 737Ng is way different and my kid is a jet jocky on them and helps me out but this thing is a whole new beast. 

It is an old bird, actually not so difficult to fly if you know how to navigate with VOR and NDB. You don't monitor a complex set of systems, you fly the aircraft. You'll be the real jet jockey in the house. 

The SP 77 is rudimentary hence simple but also not entirely reliable to follow a radial with strong winds aloft. ;). There is a good very short manual for it contrary to the 177 which does not come with a manual.

There is a gauge than you can find at Avsim that will compute the Ref speeds for TO and landing besides the fat manual with all the tables.

There are some manipulations to do in the panel files as I recall from v2.5. I have not reinstalled it in v3 so I I wouldn't know now, I use the tables.

I compiled some rules of thumb, from reading here and there. Here are the main ones if that may help you (these are quick notes for me, not really formatted). 

- To set EPR for cruise .74 mach : Multiply FL first 2 digits by 2 and add 20 and use the result as a decimal fraction above 1.0 EPR

- Climb Speeds

Take Off power set reference to EPR (with an N1 cross check). Use 89% N1.

Use 250KIAS until 10,000ft then 280KIAS/M.74 thereafter.

- Descent Speeds

.70 till 280 knots, idle thrust 2000 fpm, down to 10 000 ft to 250 kts idle thrust 2000 fpm

Desc. at .70 till 280 knots, idle thrust and speed brake out 3000 fpm, down to 10,000ft to 250kts idle thrust 3000 fpm and speed brake out

- Approach speeds by fuel consumption (from Pprune)

Level, 250kts, Clean, Pitch 4°, FF 1250 (2756) per eng (x2 with an eng inop.)

Level, 210kts, Clean, Pitch 6°, FF 1100kg(2425 pounds) per eng (x2 with an eng inop.)

Level, 170Kts, Flap 5, Pitch 7°, FF 1300 (2866) per eng,(x2 with an eng inop.)

Level, 150Kts, Flap 15, Gear Down, Pitch 7°, FF 1600 (3527) per eng (6614p with eng inop).

3° G/S, Vref30+5kts, Flap 30, Gear Down, Pitch 1°, FF 3086 per eng (or with Flap 15, Vref15+5kts and an eng inop, FF 1700)

Wow, thanks a bunch for all this Dom , gonna print it out here shortly. Took off from CYDA with 10,500 pounds and getting off was a little scary. Took it to Juneau -PAJN and that was a total disaster, If  my kid would of seen it i would have never head the end of , He already thinks i'm out to lunch driving this ol tomato can.I'm concentrating on EPR settings but i see your monitoring fuel flow, N1and the rest of it . If you run Team Speak i can give you our address which i'm about the only one on it.Looks like you back off before down hill - i find it a slippery little bugger.

First time at CYDA (a nice freeware airport from OrbX in OpenLC NA, by the way), I came hot and had to do a go around in the hills. I don't know how I survived the ordeal  :lol: ! 

Like you I bought her in a sale, let her sleep for a few months and have been practising a little bit after I found her in my hangar not so long ago. I am more a warbird/GA type of flyer but the 732 is  quite interesting to learn. I am still far from being any good and my landing are nothing to talk about. The key is to be at 10Kf 30 miles out/250 knots and at pattern level/flaps5 12 miles out/IAF and know exactly how to position the aircraft and deccelerate . Easier said than done ! I still can't nail the proper speeds over VRef. even with the FF is a trick that I found at the Pprune forum http://www.pprune.org/tech-log/219957-737-200-power-settings.html . It helps though 

Also look at the "Full AP" pdf coming with the aircraft, it has good diagrams, see p5.8. for instance.

Ok bud, all printed out ,it's a good thing i'm retired ,you know what they say "never tell any one how many hours you spend on Flight Sim in case it winds up in a divorce court"!  will check the Full AP and gonna go see for the scenery. Reason I don't get all their freeware is  if you don't use them they take up a pile of space and i'm not sure how to just pick out the ones I'll use .

Archived