Desertscapes

NeilG

I would like to make a suggestion. To my surprise I find that some of the most fascinating landscapes are desert, and I loved the job that Orbx has done with the Mojave region, and the Australian deserts though I would love higher detailed sections of some of the national parks. One of the best things about them is that though they are interesting, even in fairly high def one can achieve some high FPS. ORBX do cityscapes of course, and in the form of the French Riviera there is a wonderful looking one coming up. I would just like to suggest that desertscapes could be something worth looking at. Aerosoft did one on the Sahara which I loved. Anyway, just a suggestion.

Neil

Hi Neil,
Interesting thoughts. Deserts are indeed living environment with multiple shapes and colors. The stock rendering into FS keeps being rather poor

Interesting thoughts indeed. Some Global basic textures are not bad (dune waves for instance from 500 feet AGL)  but the landclass maps being a disaster and the best meshes available not much better in the desertic areas I checked, the final rendition is poor. So satellite imagery, like in SCA ? 

Unfortunately a majority of simmers seems to mostly fly close to home and the FS market base in the Taklamakan or Sahara is rather narrow. But some would pay  good money for a good product. Can't wait to fly the SIlk Road but I reckon I may be dead before release though :).

I been checking out some Photo real scenery of places like the United Arab Emirates, Saudi and Dubai. There are massive stretches of endlessly various shapes, textures, shades and shadows. Richard is right, the standard FSX offering is pretty boring and there is a tendency to think, if like me you don't know any better, that wilderness in such areas of the world are like that. But they are very much not.

Neil

On 24/10/2016 at 3:29 PM, dominique said:

Can't wait to fly the SIlk Road but I reckon I may be dead before release though :).

Hey you will likely live a lot longer than you expect.

Just started reading a fascinating new book called "The Methusela Effect" by Patrick Cox - get it at www.lulu.com

He is heavily involved in investment in the Biotech industry and knows much of what is coming to prolong our lives

You can then safely expect to be around for P3D v10 with all the dreamed up options you could ever hope for including 128bit (just joking on that point)

Sometimes small changes can make a big difference in your health

Archived