World War 2 Album

gibo

Hi,

September the 2nd is the Anniversary of the end of the Second World War.

I am starting a thread here for the posting of screenshots in memory of those who served in the Pacific during WW2.

I thought that the screenshot should include the following:-

1/ Authentic WW2 Pacific Area Aircraft including paint (ie no Europe invasion markings)

2/ An Orbx Region Scenery background (some or majority of water can be included in pic)

3/ And/OR an ORBX Airport that was a WW2 Airfield. (A bit of research required)

4/ The backround must not include anything out of character eg helicopter, skyscraper. Grape Vines at Cessnock are OK (I don't know if they were there at the time?? Where's my research there! I gave the airport away on that one.

5/ Just a small description as to what the aircraft did and the airfield's use at the time.

5/ If an airfield is used the aircraft doesn't have to have been based there, ie it could have made a stop over.

6/ No limit as to number posted.

7/ Each screenshot to be given a name.

Cheers,

Norm

Here's my first.

A farmer's view.

An RAAF Catalina "Black Cat" preparing for takeoff from Cessnock. Cessnock was built by the RAAF and named RAAF Station Pokolbin, as part of a system of airfields during WW2.

Black Cats were based at nearby Rathmines on the coast. The Cats flew for almost 24hrs on long rescue, bombing, mining and reconnasance patrols in the Pacific. I read where the RAAF sometimes removed the aircraft's undercarriage to enable more fuel and ammunition to be carried, thus making the aircraft a flying boat instead of an amphibiam. I once worked with one of the pilots that flew one of the cats but never got much time to talk to him about it before he passed away.

Posted Image

I found/made a few as well:

A flight of the 462nd FS/506th FG on their way to Japan. The 506th was one of the FG's that was based on Iwo Jima, and undertook missions to the Japanese mainland, a 8hour round trip over open water all the way! More on these missions here: http://www.506thfightergroup.org/index.asp

Posted Image

A B-24 of the RAAF no.25  'City of Perth' squadron, caught in bad weather on a training flight near Cunderdin, their regular base

Posted Image

A P-47 of the 348th FG, based on New Guinea, somewhere over the Pacific

Posted Image

Bert Boon van Ochsee, was a private pilot in the former Dutch East Indies. When in 1942 the war with Japan broke out, he was drafted into the air force of the KNIL (Royal Dutch East Indies Army). After the Japanese victory in the region, he escaped via New Guinea to Australia and then came to England where he was drafted into the service of the Royal Dutch Navy. In 1944 he became member of the 1840 squadron. This squadron was a Royal Navy squadron in which a large number of Dutch pilots, both from the Dutch Navy as well as from the KNIL were serving. This squadron a.o. took part in the raids on the Tirpitz. From may 1945, he served with 1839 squadron on HMS Indomitable in the Pacific at Okinawa and Japan, flying this aircraft:

Posted Image

This is Catalina Y-45 of the Royal Dutch Naval Air Force (MLD). On 21 february 1942, Y-45 rescued 27 people from a life boat of the SS "Sloet van Beele". The rescued sailors told that was another life boat containing 80 people, so after dropping off its first load, the Y-45, flown by Mans Dorre, took off again. After searching for hours, the life boat was found, containing 79 sailors. All were stowed on board the PBY, and returned to safety, although some of them later died of exhaustion. In all, 230 people were saved that day, from the "Sloet van Beele" and the destroyer "van Nes". The Y-45 later escaped to Australia (shown here), where it served for most of the war.

Posted Image

the 380th Bomb Group, known as the Flying Circus, and flying B-24's, served under RAAF command between 1943 and 1945 and flew from Darwin and the secret base at Corunna Downs, WA. They flew the longest bombing missions of the war, to the refineries as Balikpapan on Borneo. Here you see them returning to Corunna Downs, in the Pilbara. More on the 380th can be found here: http://380th.org/380.html

Posted Image

That looks like a great book Alan. What's the name of the book? I worked with a Cat pilot a few years ago. He said he was shot at by zeros, but hid in the clouds and played cat and mouse with them as the book states.

Thnyou for posting

Cheers,

Norm

Archived