How do I turn DX10 off?

flyer1

I have just installed the AI Traffic download and it doesn't load. I believe this is because i am using DX10. How do I turn DX10 off? I have looked for a tick box within FSX and can't find it. There is supposed to be one on the Settings page I believe. I have also looked in the graphic card settings.

I am running FSX Accel with Aus scenery. Sorry for my ignorance I am new to FSX. Probably an incredibly simple answer to this.

Hi, Thanks for your help. I do not have the DX10 tick box on my system. I looked at the graphic card settings and it says DX9c. I guess I am using DX9 although I thought when I installed the FSX Accelleration pack it activated DX10?

When I installed the AI Traffic download it did come up with an error box close to the end. I didn't manage to capture a screenshot of it. The installation then said it had completed successfully. All of the files and folders appear to be in the correct place. I have tried the configurator but can't get the planes to load. Is it possible to uninstall the AI Traffic and install it again so that I can do a screenshot of the error? I am using XP with FSX and Accel. I have the Orb SP2 scenery installed with YMML.

Hi there, may I ask what OS you are using?

Some tips for getting the AI running are here http://orbxsystems.com/forums/index.php?topic=7918.0

main thing to check for is in your FSX.cfg:

[Main]

User Objects=Airplane, Helicopter

SimObjectPaths.0=SimObjects\Airplanes

SimObjectPaths.1=SimObjects\Rotorcraft

SimObjectPaths.2=SimObjects\GroundVehicles

SimObjectPaths.3=SimObjects\Boats

SimObjectPaths.4=SimObjects\Animals

SimObjectPaths.5=SimObjects\Misc

SimObjectPaths.6=ORBX\FTX_AU\FTXAI_AIRCRAFT

Also may I ask that you add your ORBX Purchase order numbers for YMML and FTX regions to your signature, instructions on how are here: http://orbxsystems.com/forums/index.php?topic=1415.0

Thank you

Tim

Hi Tim,

I have checked all the files as per document. I can't seem to find the FSX.cfg file. I did a search and couldn't find it and I don't have the file in my Documents and Settings. Should I have this to run FSX normally? Every other file is in place. My OP system is XP Pro. FSX runs fine apart from the AI Traffic. I don't have the DX10 button.

PS I added my Order No to my Signature.

Hi Brendan

For XP the location of the FSX.cfg is:

C:\Documents and Settings\[Your Username]\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX

Note:

"Hidden files and folders" have to be disabled in order to see this file.

To do so:

Control Panel -> Folder Options -> View Tab -> Scroll down and put a bullet in "Show hidden files and folders" -> Click "Apply"

Cheers

Tim

Just simply open the fsx.cfg with notepad and copy-paste the bold line shown below into your  fsx.cfg

[Main]

User Objects=Airplane, Helicopter

SimObjectPaths.0=SimObjects\Airplanes

SimObjectPaths.1=SimObjects\Rotorcraft

SimObjectPaths.2=SimObjects\GroundVehicles

SimObjectPaths.3=SimObjects\Boats

SimObjectPaths.4=SimObjects\Animals

SimObjectPaths.5=SimObjects\Misc

SimObjectPaths.6=ORBX\FTX_AU\FTXAI_AIRCRAFT

Cheers

Tim

Hi,

I checked all of my AI Traffic files against the example document and all of the files are correct. I did have to add a line in my FSX.CFG file though with Tim. I have attached a screenshot showing my world\scenery folder to check if there is an fs9 file in there. Can anyone spot a wrong file?

Thanks for your help

cheers

Posted Image

Your folder looks OK to me, the Traffic_eg58 is from the realair spitfire, perhaps drag that out to the desktop and test

Do you have ANY other AI installed?

and check if FTXAI_TRAFFIC is present in your FSX scenery library

also added a picture at YSSY at dawn with 100% Airliner and 100% GA from my end

Cheers

Tim

post-1377-130204026982_thumb.jpg

post-1377-130204026993_thumb.jpg

Peter's right, Win XP or earlier will not support DX10.

Here are the things you must have to make DX10 available in FSX.

1- Vista or newer OS

2- DX10 capable graphics card

3- The FSX service packs or the acceleration expansion pack (retail copy of FSX does not natively support DX10)

You will need all three of the above to make DX10 work,

Russ.

Hi I moved the Real Air Spitfire Traffic folder to my desktop but AI Traffic didn't work. No aircraft are visible in the View Mode list. I deactivated AI Traffic by ticking the configurator and with Airline and GA Traffic set to 100% at YMML I got one airliner. Is this normal or should there be more? The Configurator turns the default on and off at least.

As far as other AI aircraft are concerned I have the Captain Sim C-130, Wings of power B-17, Alphasim B-24 and the Real Air Spitfire installed. Of these the Spitfire is the only package with AI Aircraft I believe. It have an airfield in the UK setup with AI aircraft.

All AI Traffic files are in there correct location. Bit of a mystery. Can I uninstall AI Traffic and Reinstall it so I can take a screenshot of the error I got when I installed it? I guess there is a conflict with the Spitfire AI maybe?

Maurice

. . . . . . . and back to DirectX 10: From: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb219721%28VS.85%29.aspx#Will_DirectX_10_be_available_for_Windows_XP

"Will DirectX 10 be available for Windows XP?"

No. Windows Vista, which has DirectX 10, includes an updated DirectX runtime based on the runtime in Windows XP SP2 (DirectX 9.0c) with changes to work with the new Windows Display Driver Model (WDDM) and the new audio driver stack, and with other updates in the operating system. In addition to Direct3D 9, Windows Vista supports two new interfaces when the correct video hardware and drivers are present: Direct3D9Ex and Direct3D10.

Since these new interfaces rely on the WDDM technology, they will never be available on earlier versions of Windows. All the other changes made to DirectX technologies for Windows Vista are also specific to the new version of Windows. The name DirectX 10 is misleading in that many technologies shipping in the DirectX SDK (XACT, XINPUT, D3DX) are not encompassed by this version number. So, referring to the version number of the DirectX runtime as a whole has lost much of its meaning, even for 9.0c. The DirectX Diagnostic Tool (DXdiag.exe) on Windows Vista does report DirectX 10, but this really only refers to Direct3D 10.

However using my link above is a workaround and/or by copying some of the Vista dlls it will work in XP but NOT in bog standard XP.

PeterH

That particular trafficfile is responsible for the AI from the RealAir Spitfires at their homebase in fsX,

a simple rename to:

traffic_eg58.bgl.OFF  

will do the trick and you know wich file you have disabled with out loosing it or creating any other mixups by moving files to unusaul places ;)

Hi there

That looks to me like the installer cant access the FSX.cfg and/or [Main] section correctly

suggest you first delete the FSX.cfg in C:\Documents and Settings\[Your Username]\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX, (and any "FSX.txt" saved settings)

start up FSX, and load up a flight, then shut down FSX...and you will have a new FSX.cfg

then try to re-install the FTX_AI

Cheers

Tim

It works! I deleted the FSX.cfg file and installed the traffic again which went through without an error. It was just a glitch in my old cfg file. Thanks for your help with this and thanks for producing great scenery. Really is amazing what you guys do. I should have taken a screenshot in the first place.

Archived