Vatstar

shermank

I learned this week that Vatsim has created a new learning center which they call Vatstar. you can take a look at

www.vatstar.com.

I signed up for their instruction which begins with the person completely new to FS and aviation, real or simulated, all the way up to some very sophisticated training. Unlike other learning programs I have see, this offers real time communication with a Vatstar instructor who will go through each procedure with you. He or she will have access to your computer through TeamViewer if you allow it. That way he will be a virtual copilot and see everything you are doing as well as demonstrate the correct way.

I am interested in this because maybe finally I can learn to read and follow a chart. Stars and Sids have always confused me, especially in real time flight on Vatsim where a pilot has to react quickly to follow a given instruction from ATC. Anyway, I think it is interesting and suggest you give it a try if you feel in any lacking in your flight and flight sim knowledge.

Sherm

Sounds interesting but a bit dangerous?  I don't like the idea of a relative or close friend let alone strangers getting into my computer.  I know Team Viewer, on the surface, gives you control of what they're looking at but you never know what they're getting up to in the background without you knowing.

Sorry to be a misery.

John

Hi John, You are absolutely correct that Team View is intrusive. It may prove to be a problem.  However, I have used it before with a friend to help solve a computer problem. As the owner, I can see everything that is being done by the other person and can take steps to immediately disconnect if necessary. I still have some questions to ask of the Vatstar people and a little of my own research. But, if this is akin to Vatsim, I think that trust will not be a major issue. Nonetheless, I do intend to take preventive steps to protect privacy and related concerns. 

Sherm

Archived