Niihau, Hawaii lakes

The majority of the time, Niihau's lakes should be mostly dried up.  Most are just red dirt and only a couple are fractionally filled with water.

I assume this is a land class issue, and not vector, because the "lakes" are basically in the correct location and shape.

The lakes only fill by rainfall, but since the island is very arid, most of them are perpetually dried up.  

A couple manage to retain a small amount of water throughout most years, but they are still mostly red dirt with just a bit of water in them.

Unless there is a way to seasonally add some water to a mostly dry lake, it would be more realistic to just have dried up red dirt instead of the completely filled blue lakes that are currently generated. 

Hi Matt

My understanding is that OpenLC NA doesn't do water, just ground. The waterclass are always the mediocre default. If the lake is new with Vector, this is a a Vector choice.  

BTW There is a thread on the general discussion forum requesting that OrbX puts some love and improves the water rendition to put it on par with the ground rendition.

Hi Dominique,

The lakes are not new with Vector, they are still there with default P3D.  I know that open LC is not creating the water, but if Vector is changed to remove the water, the land class under it should look like a dry lake.  Perhaps just putting a photo-real dried lake is an option.  I'm sure Orbx is smarter than me on how to fix it. :)

My point is that there are not large lakes of blue water on Niihau in real life.  

They are not really "seasonal" because they don't fill up with water each the spring and then dry out each summer.  If there are several wet years in a row, they will accumulate water in them (though I never saw them full), but the climate is typically very arid, so they remain mostly dried up for years on end.

Even if Orbx can't or won't fix it with the World products, perhaps it can be made to look realistic in FTX Hawaii when it comes out.

NiihauP3D.jpg

Niihausat.jpg

Archived