Friday Harbor Runway 16 "Stutters"

Steve Colbert

Hello all -

I have an unusual problem.

When I take off to the south from Runway 16 at Friday Harbor, either the KFHR add on OR when that is de-activated and I run with the improved version shipped with PNW Blue, I run into the most horrible stutters shortly after takeoff.   FPS drops to 3FPS or actually stops, starts, stops, starts before I break free of the invisible spider webs and begin flying at a smooth locked 30FPS.

I have no such issues anywhere else, not FHR taking off to the north, not even at LAX.

It's odd...any ideas on what may be causing this?  

Am I at the edge of some huge area of textures that needs to load up or something?   It seems pretty plain, and it doesn't matter where my view is pointed at the time.

Thanks,

Steve

I get something similar at KFHR, but when I fly in from the North and pass the runway on it's East side. Frame rate drops a few miles South of the field.
My guess is that there's an unfortunate boundry zone right over the airport and it's loading traffic either for the Seattle or Vancouver areas, depending on flight direction, but I really don't know for sure.
Whilst I've got a lot of WOAI and GA traffic installed, I have noticed that with all parts of that Big AI Ship package installed, there are a great number of ships knocking about in this area. This shipping generally tends to play nice, but I've wondered if there's a model of two in there that doesn't.

Play around with different traffic volumes and see if that makes a difference.

Ok, I've removed all traffic (including the ships) and my stutter zone seems to be gone. The ships where the last thing to go and with those alone (set at 10% - which I think means you get all of them in this case) there were still stutters in this one area. When I get time I'll add the traffic back in, bit by bit, at different densities and try to provoke the stutters again...see what causes the worst impact and what I can get away with.

If other people have experienced the same sort of thing, what did you find? 
If we can find a common link, then we might be able to work out how to moderate it a bit.
I know that some decide to fly without traffic, but I like having it...for me it helps bring the world to life and most of the time, if set carefully, I find it's not usually a big problem.

Hi guys,

Can you try disabling KFHR and trying this area again? We have had reports of framerate drops in these areas even with just PNW installed.

Some issues may be related to VAS usage, which can depend on the amount or "weight" of the addons you have active in your flight sim setup. Try disabling some features in KFHR or using a lower texture resolution (located in the KFHR control panel).

Thanks,

Russ

47 minutes ago, Russell Linn said:

Hi guys,

Can you try disabling KFHR and trying this area again? We have had reports of framerate drops in these areas even with just PNW installed.

Some issues may be related to VAS usage, which can depend on the amount or "weight" of the addons you have active in your flight sim setup. Try disabling some features in KFHR or using a lower texture resolution (located in the KFHR control panel).

Thanks,

Russ

Hi Russ - that's just the thing - I did disable FHR (and 74S and KBVS) and went back to the stock PNW airport thinking it'd fix the issue but the stutters are the same - very long stutters/pauses for about 10 seconds then you fly free of whatever the issue is - no issue with takeoffs to the north with or without the add on airports enabled.

Thanks for your help...

Steve

Just now, Republic DC-9 said:

Hi Russ - that's just the thing - I did disable FHR (and 74S and KBVS) and went back to the stock PNW airport thinking it'd fix the issue but the stutters are the same - very long stutters/pauses for about 10 seconds then you fly free of whatever the issue is - no issue with takeoffs to the north with or without the add on airports enabled.

Thanks for your help...

Steve

My apologise, I completely misread!

That's definitely a strange issue. Have you tried disabling traffic like DAVIDF4 said? I have seen some reports of ferry traffic being an issue.

Thanks,

Russ

6 hours ago, Russell Linn said:

My apologise, I completely misread!

That's definitely a strange issue. Have you tried disabling traffic like DAVIDF4 said? I have seen some reports of ferry traffic being an issue.

Thanks,

Russ

Hi Russ and thank you for the suggestion DavidF4 -

I will try disabling first my Worldwide Ships then those fine Washington State Ferries (individually then together) and see if that helps, good suggestion.

Like David, I have a full complement of AI traffic - ships, ferries, airliners, GA going at all times and that might just be the problem - it's just odd that it happens in one spot.

If so, I'll live with the stutters as I can't sim the San Juans without AI - I love seeing where that Coast Guard cutter or oil tanker will appear next.

I'm also going to try re-activating KFHR and KBVS and leaving Anacortes de-activated and see how my texture loading issues are that way (in a different thread I spoke of how I'd start out great from KFHR or KBVS but by the time I got to Anacortes, I'd have a bad case of the blurries and texture loading would slow to the point that my pilot figure would turn gray, VASI lights would turn black, etc. - all bad things.   I have a decent processor and memory and (now) graphics card, but the slow texture loading was killing me.

Thanks again guys, I will report back on my test results.

Steve

Ok, reporting back in....if I remove the AI ships and Washington State Ferries add ons, then there are no pauses.

Incidentally my texture loading overload also seems to go away.

I will try to restore the ferries and see if I can get away with those - then oress my luck with a "few" pf the ship .bgls. :)

thanks for the suggestions...

• 3 months later...

I have to bring up this topic again.

I suffered under the same issue (heavy stutters) when leaving KFHR southbound (RW 16). This happens always when I start  a flight at KFHR sitting at RW 16.. I usually have good frame rates (30-35 fps) but heavy stutters (pauses) after T/O.

But, when I have passed that stutter area, and reload the situation (STRG+R) which brings me back to RW 16, frame rate is reduced by 10 fps, but now, after T/O stutters are barely to be noticed.

Any ideas what is going on there? What kind of bug (P3D?) is it?

Archived