Flickering Windsocks

tom

I've got a very minor problem with flickering windsocks - it appears to be only at orbx airports - the windsocks flick back and forwards through some 10 to 20 degrees, at a highish frequency of the order of 3 to 5 flicks per second. No problems with light poles, or any other scenery item at all.

Doesn't appear to happen at default or OZx airstrips.  In every other regard, the orbx airports perform flawlessly, and are a wonderful addition to simming. Great work orbx.

I have a 9800GX2 and a stock standard Q9550, 4GB DDR3 RAM, running on Vista 64.  I have played around with most of the card settings, but to no avail thus far.

Any thoughts anyone.

Cheers

You might have to be specific about which airports this does and doesn't happen at.

There are a number of windsock objects used throughout OzX and OrBX - and this will vary depending on the location.

I suspect the problem you are noting is a bug found in socks that employ the Conditonal display/animation code.  These include some OzX socks, but not all.

A number of the OzX socks use continuous translation (keyframe animation) - which tends to be smooth, and not display the flicker bug.

In short - there is little that one can do about the interation between the FSX weather engine and the Conditional animation "switch points"

If you could explain where you are and are not seeing the behaviour it might confirm things a little.

Thanks for the response Ian.  I will do a bit more research tomorrow, but I can certainly confirm that the problem was very apparent at the new YHBA.

I've spent a lot of time there over the last couple of days (lovin' it) - and this was the only small niggle I could find.  I can also confirm that it definitely flickers at YWVA, and I suspect Cessnock, but I will confirm the latter tomorrow.  I presume then, from what you say, that you all get the flickers at the locations where the suspect socks are found.

Anyhow, I'll come back with some more info in a day or so.

Cheers

When my default flight is using Weather theme - Clear skies (clears all weather) then both wind socks at Cessnock flicker.  Adding some wind in user-defined weather stops the flicker.

To prevent wind sock flicker, select a weather theme with some wind or user-defined weather with wind and save to the default flight.  Works for me.

Archived