How to Disable HT on Core i7?

boe772ER

That is done using the BIOS setup screen (usually accessed by pressing the 'Del' key during the PC bootup).

Each BIOS is different, so I would get the documentation which came with your motherboard which should list all the options available in your BIOS. Also they sometimes refer to HyperThreading as 'MultiThreading', depending on the BIOS manufacturer.

Really basic question is why?  Reason for asking is , as I understand the current HT Technology from intel if you disable HT you effectively disable core sharing which MUST then be set manually by assigning core affinity to a program EVERY time that it is run.

That is possible Tim BUT start FSX or any other simulation with HT OFF and look at the Core affinity Nothing is shared and Core "0" has all the load. Enable HT and it is usually spread over the available Cores.

People tested this to great extend... you can find results on other forums. Half of them report no change what so ever (except higher CPU temperatures if OCd), half of the report better performance if using affinity mask(15) tweak and HT off... in FSX only! You can definitely benefit from HT on other applications. But in FSX, from what I read, turning HT off you can only benefit from that.

A CPU which runs hotter works more i would think. Can't be that bad... Do you really have to disable HT for an average overclock ? Hard to believe. Time that i find out, really...  ;D

No, you don't HAVE TO disable HT... it's just the fact the more you overclock your CPU it gets hotter... if you disable HT it gets less hot so you can OC it more. Other fact is that HT does absolutely nothing for FSX.. not a single thing.. so... if you use your machine just for FSX (in general) and if you want to OC the CPU than there's no need to turn HT on... it will only make your CPU hotter... that's it. You don't benefit from HT on in FSX at all.

If anybody has some other info.. please tell!

I have the 920 @ 4.2Ghz and it's more stable and cooler with HT off. I tested HT yesterday and the "core" usage is very inconsistent. With HT off all 4 cores are equally utilised without fiddling with affinity masks etc.

So I concur fully with Meatycus' findings.

John can you run FSX and gice it the three fingered salute and then look at the affinity  , the reason is I was checkingh out a system the other day and it ran well but when I checked it was only using Core 1 and 2 ? 

Archived