KTVL looks awful.

qman

I just bought KTVL today and something is really messed up. The ground textures look all blurry (just like when you run with time compression). Objects are fine, but the ground is ultra low resolution. If I pause the sim, the textures eventually switch to hi-res, but it takes a long time. My other airports seem to have similar issues although they have worked fine for years. I have 2 regions and many airports and I've never had a problem before. I recently installed the 1+ GB update/migration. I think that was the cause. I haven't touched FSX in any other way besides installing the latest update and KTVL.

I deleted fsx.cfg and started with a fresh config and it made no difference. 

Is there a way to revert the recent migration update? 

My diagnostic report is: ot4fe5207710aa00b8a1ece99521319362 - although I've been mucking about with the settings trying to fix this.

Please help. all of my ORBX scenery is unusable.

Mike 

• 3 weeks later...

I have lots of the following error in my orbx.log

[2016-06-23_12-52-26-PM, FTX Central] - System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
Parameter name: source
   at System.Linq.Enumerable.FirstOrDefault[TSource](IEnumerable`1 source, Func`2 predicate)
   at Orbx.FTXCentral.RegionSwitch.UnifiedMigration.ApplyMigrations()

Another user just posted about the same errors. Maybe everyone should check their logs in case all the users with blurries and wrong textures have the same issue?

This is from a fresh FSX-SE install with only ORBX installed on top. windows-10.

55 minutes ago, qman said:

Maybe everyone should check their logs in case all the users with blurries and wrong textures have the same issue?

This might be a dumb question, but where is this orbx.log located? I haven't been able to find it anywhere.

The exception reads as:

Method Orbx.FTXCentral.RegionSwitch.UnifiedMigration.ApplyMigrations() is calling the microsoft API:  System.Linq.Enumerable.FirstOrDefault[TSource] and is passing null in the source argument and the API is throwing an exception saying that it is an error for source to be null.

That's as far as a non-ORBX developer can go since I don't have the ORBX code. 

Some ORBX developer (Ben?) wrote the ApplyMigrations() method. It would be advantageous for him to take a minute or two to look in his code where he calls FirstOrDefault() to see if there is a logic error that is breaking the migration for lots of ORBX customers.

I hope that Ben is reading this. It would be a darn shame if he is not reading the forums and nobody gets him information like this.

I've just reran the migration again and got the logfile now (not sure why it wasn't there before, maybe a cleanup tool removed it). I have two of the above error messages in it, but as far I can tell the migration went fine for me (i.e. I did not notice any of the post-migration issues listed in this forum).

As qman mentioned, the error message says that in a call to the .NET method "FirstOrDefault" the first parameter "source" is NULL, which is not allowed. But without the code it is not possible to tell what is going on there.

A wild guess since the migration issues seem to be somewhat random: could it be related to path name length? Wouldn't be the first time that path names cause issues when they get too long. My sim (P3D v3.3.5) is installed in "D:\Prepar3D v3", i.e. quite a short path name. And I don't seem to have any problems.

I've got them, too. 

[2016-06-05_07-01-33-AM, FTX Central] - System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
   at System.Linq.Enumerable.FirstOrDefault[TSource](IEnumerable`1 source, Func`2 predicate)
[2016-06-05_07-01-33-AM, FTX Central] - System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
[2016-06-12_04-25-53-PM, FTX Central] - System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
[2016-06-12_04-25-53-PM, FTX Central] - System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.

I can't wait for Orbx to fix this. Unfortunately for me, the migration happen coincidentally with the install of my first 3 Orbx regions. I've seen glimpses of how great they can be, but I've owned them nearly a month and still haven't had a chance to truly enjoy them. Every flight has some portion where it looks like it is running on an Atari 2600... Ugh. 

On 6/12/2016 at 0:56 AM, gotjackson said:

Please see John Venema's recent sticky posting at the top of the General Discussion forum. 

Can you post a link to it? I've looked several times, and all I see are acknowledgements of the wrong texture issues in Australia and New Zealand. Is there a post where someone from Orbx is addressing the issue of blurry scenery directly? It is a bit disconcerting that there hasn't been an official acknowledgement of the blurriness issue yet. 

It's irrelevant now. That was three weeks ago. I know ORBX is continuing to work on solutions for the few that have had problems with migration. I can only imagine how frustrating it must be, but I know the ORBX team won't rest until they've resolved everyone's issues.

Last night I uninstalled ORBX and reinstalled everything without migrating. KTVL was a father's day present and I finally got a chance to see it working properly. 

I'll keep an eye out for a fix to the migration issues. I guess I won't migrate until I buy an ORBX product that needs it.

For the record, KTVL looks awesome.

Archived