KBFL Bakersfield global pack airport vs SCA version

Guys, just a heads up that the global freeware pack still contains KBFL which seems to conflict with the SCA region version. The region version and the global version remain active and at least for me, causes some fps issues there. I have disabled the global freeware version. If I recall correctly, any global freeware airports which are now part of regions were going to be removed from the freeware packs. 

Cheers,

glenn

2 hours ago, anfield ace said:

Also chaps, what about KBHB, also included in Global Freeware Airports list?

Cheers,

This post was pertaining to KBFL in Southern California region.  Piggy backing onto a post with question concerning KBHB which is an airport in Maine and is not part of  any ORBX regional scenery adds confusion.  Better to start a new thread for unrelated locations

38 minutes ago, spud said:

This post was pertaining to KBFL in Southern California region.  Piggy backing onto a post with question concerning KBHB which is an airport in Maine and is not part of  any ORBX regional scenery adds confusion.  Better to start a new thread for unrelated locations

Roger!!

Hi guys,

KBFL was one of the airports that was removed when SCA was released, however...If you only install the new download over your old one KBFL may remain.  My suggestion is to delete the whole scenery folder before installing the new set of Packs, or removing the three KBFL files manually.

I've asked Ed to remove the KBHB files from the new pack but you might want to leave them in your scenery folder until you get the excellent payware version.

Cheers, Neil

1 hour ago, Neil Hill said:

Hi guys,

KBFL was one of the airports that was removed when SCA was released, however...If you only install the new download over your old one KBFL may remain.  My suggestion is to delete the whole scenery folder before installing the new set of Packs, or removing the three KBFL files manually.

I've asked Ed to remove the KBHB files from the new pack but you might want to leave them in your scenery folder until you get the excellent payware version.

Cheers, Neil

Hi Neil,

thanks for responding. Something odd may be happening then as I had already deleted the global freeware version of KBFL prior to today's update. After running the update today, the files had been restored with a creation date in Windows explorer listing today.

1.  KBHB:  After looking in my flight sim's ORBX directory, KBHB should not be a problem.  I ran Scruffy Duck's "Simple Airport Scanner" to detect duplicate AFCADs (airports) in my installation, and it only shows 2 entries for KBHB.  One in an altitude adjustment file in the Scenery\World\Scenery folder (active), and the other is in the ORBX\FTX_NA\FTX_AA_KBHB\scenery folder (active also) (note: this is the folder that was created when I installed the payware KBHB).  And there is STILL a KBHB airport .BGL file in ORBX\FTX_Global\FTX_FTXG_Airports\Scenery folder, but it had been turned "off" with a ".OFF" extension added to the file name.  I don't remember doing that after I installed the payware KBHB, so I'm assuming the installer for the payware airport may have done it itself.  If the KBHB payware installer is doing that, there won't be a problem with "duplicate AFCADs" concerning KBHB.  EDIT:  After posting this, I just saw another thread where it's confirmed the payware KBHB will deactivate the freeware KBHB during the install.

2.  KBFL:  As for KBFL, the same thing happened to me that happened to Glenn.  I used the new FTX Central 2 to update the NA Freeware Airports pack, and it put the freeware KBFL airport BGL's back in the freeware folder.  I simply deleted them all again (there were 4 of them in my folder, because I had already turned the main BGL one to ".OFF" a while back, but the update re-added all 3 of the original ones to the folder again).  Now I have only the NA SCA KBFL being used by the flight simulator.  So it does appear that the "safe" way for now to update the freeware airports packs is to re-download the entire pack from the ORBX site and install it without using the FTX Central 2 updater for it. 

Still, the SAFEST way to make sure you don't have "duplicate AFCADs" for the same airports is to get the free "Simple Airport Scanner" from the Scruffy Duck site (I'm not sure if it works yet with the most current version of P3D.  It asks you to select which flight sim you have, and lists P3D versions 1, 2, and 3.  But I'm not sure if it has been updated for P3D v3.3 yet).  Run it and it will list any duplicate "AFCAD" (.BGL) files for any airports it finds.  Then you can scroll through your flight sim folders to find the ones you don't want "enabled" and turn them ".OFF" or just delete them.  CAUTION:  If you aren't sure which files you can delete to do it, you could hose up an entire airport. 

EDIT to my above post, because I worded something poorly in it.  When I said:

"So it does appear that the "safe" way for now to update the freeware airports packs is to re-download the entire pack from the ORBX site and install it without using the FTX Central 2 updater for it."

That was meant to mean that IF there was a problem with the new FTX Central 2 doing the freeware airport pack update, a full re-download of the pack and re-install would put the WHOLE pack back into your ORBX simulation.  BUT, as long as any "duplicate" airports were still in the freeware pack (like for KBFL if you had NA SCA), you would STILL have to go disable the freeware pack's KBFL airport in THAT folder in your ORBX installation.

Sorry if my original post confused anyone. 

• 1 month later...

Archived