ESSA OOMs

Hi,

Excuse me for asking, but can we soon expect an update for ESSA?

The reason for asking is the constant OOMs I have. And not only that, even if the crashes of FSX is spoiling my day.

1. When on final around 12-15 nm from runway it pops up a lot of black squares at the position where ESSA loads. And then the squares disappear after freezing FSX for a moment and I can see ESSA. But - 4 nm from runway it starts to load more graphics. And that is when OOM happens. I never had an OOM before ESSA. And ESSA is causing the only OOMs I have. And as retired I fly a lot, mainly Europe and North America. I can start from ESSA but not land.
The only setting in ESSA FTX config is Grass Norway and FTX EU Norway since I have FTX Norway.

This behavior never happens with the other Orbx airports I have.

2. The strange yellow-red lights on runway and also from taxiway to gates at dark, it looks like flames coming up from the surface. And they are flat. Very odd. It really kills immersion. The green and red lights strangely are ok though and looks good.

3. Why is the lights at ESSA dark until late in the evening? All other airfields around are up and visual as they should. And with bad weather the other airports are lit up in daytime. But not ESSA. For me the VASI and runways are very hard to see at final.

I hope someday ESSA will get the same quality as the other Orbx airports. After all, it's payware...

My settings are in my signature. My FTX software that may effect ESSA is FTX Global, FTX Vector and FTX Europe Landclass.

I'm running FSX Steam-version together with ASN. Nothing else. Just a few AI, 18% in myTraffic.

Regards,

Good day!

I'm sorry to hear about your OOM's. Did you try the low-res texture pack that was "released" a while ago? The reason I'm asking and not referring you to the download link is because the link has expired so I need to re-upload to a permanent link. I'll do that next week when I'm back home. If you haven't tried it, you should really give that a try, it has solved the OOM problem for some users.

Regarding your other questions. The service pack might take some time as we are hoping to be able to introduce the moving gates etc in the service pack.

For OOM matters we will be directing users to try the low-res package (that I referred to, and which will be up permanently available in the beginning of next week, once again, sorry for the delay on the permanent link). Other recommended actions is to deactivate options in the config panel which may help. Grass can be a good option to try to turn off.

The service pack will have some sort of alternative for runway lights to solve the color issue.

Arlanda is using the normal FSX day/night texture technique and the lights are turned on as for any other airport using the normal lightmap technique.

In bad weather lights can't be triggered because of FSX limitations when in combination with the advance ground texturering layering used. We are considering having an option keeping runway lights on day and night for those that prefer that to that option.

Hope that answered your questions,

Regards,

Marcus

So sorry for the delay. Here is a download link to the texture pack:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iapqkul64w3fhp3/essa_1024.rar?dl=0

Install instructions:

1. Unzip the content to a temporary folder.

2. Take the content of the "1024" folder and copy paste into FSX/ORBX/FTX_Global/FTX_AA_ESSA/Texture

3. Press "Yes" when asked to replace files.

This will downsize all textures in the scenery from mainly 2048 textures to 1024 or less, and will save you lot's of VAS.

To go back to the original texture set, just reinstall the scenery.

Hope this will help! Let me know if there are any issues.

Thank you Marcus!

I have downloaded and installed the 1024 scenery for ESSA. After a number of tests it works great. And it's hard to see any difference in the graphics compared to the earlier version. It works much smother and no OOMs yet (knock on wood).

Regards

• 4 weeks later...

Archived