Siletz Bay Collision Problem - one last time I hope

DAVIDF4

Hello,

I know this has been brought up before, but despite what the conclusions to previous threads might suggest, as of now in FSX, with the latest Siletz Bay installation (1.05) and lastest Orbx libraries, this problem is currently NOT fixed.
Basically it's the old "colliding with the night time rotating beacon" issue. I've done some leg work, think I've identified the actual problem and hope that I can convince a Dev to fix this, if it's as stright forward as it seems.
The situation:
If you travel, at night, from North to South, or South to North, anywhere across the airfield (runway, grass, taxiway, parking area) below the height of the top of the beacon tower, the plane always crashes at a roughly East-West line that runs across the scenery and through the beacon tower. This is a very narrow line.
Lo and behold, when looking at the night time version of the rotating beacon model (from Orbx_S45_lib.BGL) in modelConverterX, theres a long thin crashbox running out of either side of the tower for some distance. This matches the crash pattern exactly.
This would seem like the obvious culprit for the crashes, so unless there's some other complicating factor that I don't know about, can the Orbx_S45_lib.BGL object library be rebuilt with the night time rotating beacon crash box switched off please?

I'd normally use something like instant scenery to turn the crash box off, but in this case the object is dynamically placed (object flow) and it seems that instant scenery can't find the object.

Thank you,

Dave.

Whilst we're giving S45 some love, the 1.05 installer didn't install the effects for the runway lights for me.
This seems to have been a problem in the past, and for those with very dim lights at Siletz, Bill Womack has attached the necessary effects files to the thread here:

The runway lights effects needed for Siletz Bay are the same as those used at KCMW and these do make a big difference to Siletz Bay.

Finally, and regrettably unfixable I should imagine, the runway at Siletz Bay is several dozen yards too far to the West compared to the real thing.
It does all look very authentic when compared to reality and you'd probably never notice, but the GTN750 knows.

I'm going to give this thread one last bump before it sinks without trace.

I'm just trying to help others who might like to see this rectified. You need to fix your FSX installer because it's broken, or correct the glitches with a library patch.

That's done the trick. Collisions gone. Thanks Ed.
Don't forget to include those runway light effects files too, if there's ever a change to the installer or a library patch. They seem to have been separated from the Siletz Bay product at some point.

Many thanks,

Dave

Archived