Best Memory

Guest boeingqa

Guest boeingqa

Guys on short final to buy my new mem for my i7 system.. whats the best value and performance memory? l would like 6 gig memory..

any help on this would be great..

Thanks

Paul

Guest boeingqa

never heard of that memory, is it any good? the one you gave a link too says not avali..

Thx bud

Paul

Guys on short final to buy my new mem for my i7 system.. whats the best value and performance memory? l would like 6 gig memory..

any help on this would be great..

Thanks

Paul

Memory is memory. Basicly one brand is as good as the next. But to be safe I would stick with a "name" brand. There's very little difference in price these days. OCX is as good as any

I would agree and go for the fastest Mhz you can afford, minimum 1333MHz, 6Gb, Triple channel (3x2Gb) these days for an i7 system.

I think mine is Corsair Dominator. It has not given me any problems to speak of.

Corsair failed for us at high voltages during the Uber2 build, so we ended using 2x Kingston Hyper KHX12800D3LLK3/6GX 6GB kits, which are stable at 1.6v but failed at 1.8v after 3 weeks of use. Reducing voltage back to 1.6 now has the i7 920 system stable at 4.0Ghz

If you're going to overclock your CPU make sure you get a minimum of 1600Mhz RAM.

I made the mistake of getting 1333Mhz and I am now saving to get 6Gb 1600Mhz as the 1333Mhz really limits your options.

Good Luck!

Al

Guest boeingqa

Thanks guys, l was going to OC the cpu to 4GHz.. l might play it safe and use what john reccomended..

Thanks guys

Paul

Does anyone Know anything about OCZ ram good/bad ? this is the one I was thinking about.

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=186_216&products_id=8657

Thanks Goobs

Nah l dont think sooo... there the biggest company around. If they stop, they go under.

Paul

I'm sure I heard right,  maybe he ment there just not going to stock it anymore cos of to many prob's.   (it was not the people at pc case & gear that told me this.)

Guest boeingqa

Looks great bud, l`m thinking of getting the same..

anyone here used these? and what about OC would they b ok?

Thx

Paul

There seem to be problems with the high speed Elpida  chips used by various

companies in their memory modules.Not sure but I think Mushkin are not using them

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1433462/dead-elpida-chips

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1433248/elpida-memory-deaths-plot-t

hickens

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1433314/ocz-comments-elpida-memory-

chips

Kobus

I put an i7 machine together a few weeks ago using Mushkin Redline Ascent 6GB DDR3 1600 (specs below).

As already mentioned this memory has been excellent so far with the i7 and I’ve had no problems running them at a tight 6-6-5-18-1N at only 1.60V.

Here are a few pics of the new build –

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

ASUS Rampage II Extreme (1406 BIOS)

Intel Core i7-975 Extreme Edition w/Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme 1366 RT

Mushkin Redline Ascent 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) (6-6-5-18-1N)

EVGA GTX 285 FTW (190.38)

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty

WD VelociRaptor 150GB – Windows Vista 64/SP2

WD VelociRaptor 300GB – Games/Programs

WD VelociRaptor 150GB - XP Pro 64 Bit Edition/SP2

PC Power & Cooling T1KWSR 1000W

LIAN LI PC-A70B

ASUS Rampage Extreme (BIOS 1201)

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 w/Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme

Mushkin XP3-12800 Ascent 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1600

ATI 4870X2 (Catalyst 9.6)

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty

WD VelociRaptor 150GB – Windows 7 64-bit RC

SILVERSTONE 1200Watt DA

SILVERSTONE TJ09-B

I put an i7 machine together a few weeks ago using Mushkin Redline Ascent 6GB DDR3 1600 (specs below).

As already mentioned this memory has been excellent so far with the i7 and Ive had no problems running them at a tight 6-6-5-18-1N at only 1.60V.

Does anyone Know a good Aussie supplier Melbourne area for the Mushkin ram.

Regards Goobs

l`m looking for one as well.

Paul

Hi boeingqa, I contacted Mushkin in the US for a good Aussie supplier Melbourne area, or if you just buy diect from US, had no replie as yet, I'll let you know what thay say, the ram that mango picked is not avealble, & hope it's not to pricey if it is I think I'll go with the OCZ or Kingston, ??? it's a hard pick after what I have been readind about all the up's a downs of the DDR3, but as long as it has a lift time warranty and not limited thats all we  can do.

I haven't had a reply for Mushkin as yet, I'll give them a bit longer, it's only been 26 hours since I emailed them, but I do like that OCX ram- it seems to tick all the right boxes & it does have that feature where it will automatically configure your bios settings, allowing the bios to read the SPD data on XMP memory module to enhance memory performance when enabled (if your motherboard supports that). Can't hurt to get a little extra help when learning all this from scratch. 

Goobs

Probably a little late with this reply, but i have been using the OCZ Gold Memory P/No:OCZ3G1600LV6GK never had

any problems with it. Added another 6G when the price dropped to $190 from PC Manics, it's overclocked to 1800mhz

at 9,9,9,26,1T,and the 920cpu is at 3.6 on Gigabyte EX58 Extreme.

Paul

Well I thought it was time for a update, it’s been a few days now and I never did get a reply from Mushkin , tried to contact them a couple of ways, but no luck at all- a bit disappointing. Only 3 questions, so I searched their forum and did end up finding an answer to one- that there are no suppliers here in Oz.

http://forums.mushkin.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13025

Probably a little late with this reply, but i have been using the OCZ Gold Memory P/No:OCZ3G1600LV6GK never had

any problems with it. Added another 6G when the price dropped to $190 from PC Manics, it's overclocked to 1800mhz

at 9,9,9,26,1T,and the 920cpu is at 3.6 on Gigabyte EX58 Extreme.

Paul

Paul, while I was waiting for Mushkin s reply, I found the gold Ocz ram (link) and at present you can get it for $185.  So I then compared the 2 Ocz rams- the gold & Intel one, and to me the specs looked the same.  But being unsure, I thought  I would go with the Ocz intel over $200.  At my local pc store I asked them and they said that there was no difference at all… WHAT THE?  It got me thinking- am I just having a bad run with sales people, (don’t know what they’re talking about), or is it that Ocz just changed the colour and the badges for a new look and more money.  I contacted Ocz to find out straight from them exactly what the differences are, and this is what  they said.

While the two types of memory may use the same chips underneath, The Intel specific part supports 1800Mhz using XMP Profile 2. Memory that supports higher frequency is better than one that does not, so in my opinion the Intel part is better.

If you wish to contact me, please use only one means, preferably open your own thread on the support forum, alternately use E-mail, but not both at the same time.

At the end of the day looks like both Ocz rams will perform well and going off what you said Paul, the gold is a great buy for under $200.

My end decision:

1. Mushkin : sorry, you missed out on this sale due to bad service.

2. Ocz Intel: I’m getting it at the same price as the gold (he he). Got to get a win some where!

3. Only 3 2G sticks- playing it safe.  Can always get some more later, or if after all this I do still end up with a dud, I can change it when all the companies know where they’re going with the DDR3 rams.

It’s always the way, isn’t it? I posted this after waiting 5 days, & of course just a few hours later, I finally receive a reply from mushkin with details on who looks after sale the purchasing for Mushkin Products as an Australian customer.  It’s good to know that they do follow up on your questions and help you where they can.

I won’t post the guys direct email address just yet- better make sure he doesn’t mind first. If anyone is interested for the contact,  just give me a couple of days and I’ll post it.  Goobs

Hi guys,

I bit the bullet today and went out and bought a 6Gb kit of Kingston 1600mhz (same kit that John refers to above) and a new Logitech GX9 mouse.

I must admit though, I had some troubles last night which I have just worked through.

I was reading all I could about OC'ing and what Ram to use, so in the process I downloaded CPU-Z to check my speeds.

It installed ok, but strangely, I found I had a 3.5" floppy drive icon that wasn't there before.

I don't have a floppy installed on my system (I mean, who does???).

All was well, untill I rebooted and my system was hanging at the first BIOS screen.

I tried all the tricks and finally gave up thinking I may have damaged my RAM in testing it, or some such thing.

When I installed the new 1600Mhz RAM, it hung again and I had a job just getting into the BIOS.

When I did, the penny dropped. It was hanging on start because it couldn't find my floppy (that I don't have).

Changes the settings in the BIOS and all is good again.

Bad blue with CPU-Z

FRank

Geil, Corsair, Kingston  all good quality BUT I would have to say that I have been using Geil Memory for close on 20 Years and NEVER had a module fail, NEVER. I've heard of Muskin but not anything detremental.

Corsair is good memory BUT as John eluded can and does fail at higher temperatures.

If you want to research some answers then might I be so bold as to suggest you take a look at  http://www.ramcity.com.au/products/allbrands.htm

There is likely to be some information specific to the mainboard you are wanting to use.

It’s always the way, isn’t it? I posted this after waiting 5 days, & of course just a few hours later, I finally receive a reply from mushkin with details on who looks after sale the purchasing for Mushkin Products as an Australian customer.   It’s good to know that they do follow up on your questions and help you where they can.

I won’t post the guys direct email address just yet- better make sure he doesn’t mind first. If anyone is interested for the contact,  just give me a couple of days and I’ll post it.  Goobs

Hi everyone this is the contacted details of the who looks after sales for the purchasing for Mushkin Products as an Australian customer, giving to me buy Muskin. He is still based in the U.S, I have not checked out this site yet because I already got some OCz ram here. Sow good luck with it and I hope this has made it a little easier for the next person who would like some Muskin ram.

Goober  :)

Just got this email

HI  ********:

Thanks for writing and I do apologize for getting back to you so late.  My main email address is  gjmcombo@sbcglobal.net . But sometimes my AU customers have some trouble with the spam filters.  I have an ebay store  GJMCOMBO.COM and this link will take you to the memory section

http://stores.shop.ebay.com/GJM-COMBO_Memory_W0QQ_fsubZ2751219QQ_sidZ55856834QQ_trksidZp4634Q2ec0Q2em322

I can get any Mushkin product that is available and have it in the mail to you in 2 business days time. However prices also change in the memory market every 2 days. so when you are ready I will give you a quote.

Thanks for considering me with any future purchase. Please visit my store and feel free to ask me for anything.

memory shipping (1 to 3 items)  to AU is 16usd priority 6-10 days no tracking and 28usd express 4-7 days with tracking.

Gary Merrill

GJM-COMBO

Guest boeingqa

Got them, l bought 6 gig ocz triple channel 1600 intel edition memory looks nice all black lets just see how it does.

Thx guys for all the help

Paul

Archived