Ocean texture blending

B77X

About 50 miles off the coast in Orbx NA, there is a hard water texture change from what I guess is Orbx water textures ending and default fs water textures beginning. Is there any way to get rid of this and allow my default fs water textures to display everywhere? I use Rex4 Texture Direct for water and the blending looks very bad heading off the west coast of North America when NCA/SCA/PNW/etc is enabled.

7 minutes ago, Holger Sandmann said:

Hi David,

the procedure for deactivating our custom waterclass and textures is described here: 

Cheers, Holger

Thank you, but what are the downsides to doing that? If I remove all the files then I do not get custom coast and beach textures? I just like to get rid of the ocean textures themselves.

Hi there,

those files are responsible for the base color of waterbodies, they don't influence shoreline textures, water effects & reflections, etc. The difference to the default waterclass is that ours is more accurate in terms of lake and river colors, sediment fans, reefs, etc.

In any case it's an all-or-nothing proposition meaning you can't just remove or replace offshore ocean textures. The alternative would be to find darker REX water textures so that the boundary to ours isn't as obvious.

Cheers, Holger

29 minutes ago, Holger Sandmann said:

Hi there,

those files are responsible for the base color of waterbodies, they don't influence shoreline textures, water effects & reflections, etc. The difference to the default waterclass is that ours is more accurate in terms of lake and river colors, sediment fans, reefs, etc.

In any case it's an all-or-nothing proposition meaning you can't just remove or replace offshore ocean textures. The alternative would be to find darker REX water textures so that the boundary to ours isn't as obvious.

Cheers, Holger

Thank you again. Maybe in the future you could split up ocean and lake/river/etc files?

What Orbx have done here is not entirely unrealistic as you see the effect described by the OP in real life where coastal runoff discolors oceanic water for quite some distance offshore particularly in high rainfall areas such as PNW.  Orbx have applied the same idea off the coast of New Zealand but in that case the boundary line is much less regular and more realistic.

Bruceb

Perhaps some kind of blend zone would be nice for each Orbx ocean facing product, with user selectable blend tile sets that smoothly graduate to the FSX default ocean colour, as well as to the colours that some of the other popular water texture replacement tools use, like REX (dark/medium/bright).
This wouldn't be very difficult to produce, since it's just mostly featureless non-differentiated ocean along a simple boundry in most places and it just has to blend to whatever the default water class is at the particular boundry in question. Once you've got the tile set for one colour combination, you just recolour it for the others.
Water colour changing tools (like FSWC) wouldn't break this graduation, since they'll act consistently across the water on both sides of the boundary.
Maybe this is going that extra mile, but it's all about the little details in this game and this would make a lot of people very happy I'd imagine.

11 hours ago, Bruceb said:

What Orbx have done here is not entirely unrealistic as you see the effect described by the OP in real life where coastal runoff discolors oceanic water for quite some distance offshore particularly in high rainfall areas such as PNW.  Orbx have applied the same idea off the coast of New Zealand but in that case the boundary line is much less regular and more realistic.

Bruceb

But as DavidF4 said above, a better blending would be nice. It's a hard change of textures, and square lines, it stands out very much, even when I select dark water textures from rex4 texture direct

Archived