Airport and obstruction lights in FTX SoCal

aviator1213

I am using P3D v2.5.

I frequently look for towers for navigation, especially at night.  Some of the vertical obstructions are so slim, they are very hard to see - sometimes, I swear, they disappear.  The same is not true in real life - the red lights on obstructions are highly visible from miles away.

In P3D, however, I can see threshold/REIL lights from 50 miles - 100 miles away, but I can't see rotating beacons even when I am close to the airport (they seem to appear and disappear sometimes)....

I see the light configurator controls street lights; can they also control airport lights and antenna tower lights?

I'm not sure whether this is fixable. It' been one of my pet peeves for *years*. In my local area (Auckland) we have the Sky Tower. In RL, you can see the red lights for *miles* (even from the ground). NZAA is quite close by - as is NZWP. It's a significant hazard and is [therefore] lit up like a bloomin' Christmas tree.

I've  never seen anything anywhere near bright enough - in FSX, P3Dv2.5, P3Dv3.2 - FTX or no FTX. In NZNI, you almost have to be right on top of it (ie. 100m) before you see it. I wonder whether it's some scenery object limitation of some kind. I'd love for some knowledgeable ORBX dev to enlighten us!

Adam.

Archived