Installation problem with FTX:EU England

Tom Hayes

I am trying to re-install FTX:EU England into FSX on my Win 7 PC. I previously was eventually able to install it despite many successful attempts by Bitdefender virus protection to block my efforts. But after a system crash, and a Macrium Reflect C:\ image transfer I unfortunately reverted my PC to a state where FTX was no longer present. I'm now starting again with Bitdefender deactivated, but have reached an impasse which I hope someone can resolve for me... After I click on the unzipped download the unwrapping goes ahead OK. After 4 minutes I get the message "Please insert Disk #1...." a pathway appears in the narrow window, I click OK and then am told... "Setup can not open the following archive file..." I can not progress beyond this impasse... Why isn't this a straightforward exercise this time and where am I going wrong? Any help or advice welcome - I'm really missing flying over the green fields!

Orbx Install Problem 2.JPG

Orbx Install Problem 3.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks Nick for your helpful and accurate advice. I should have replied earlier but was so delighted when I suddenly found that when I did what I was told, it worked! I had been trying to install FTX:EU England while its unzipped files were in the same folder as the zipped file. When I unzipped again but this time to a separate folder (as advised) the rest of the installation then followed smoothly. My success has been short-lived though. I am now constantly living on the brink of an OOM crash that takes me by surprise usually when I'm looking for too long at the wonderful scenery below... I've tried reducing the FSX sliders quite a bit but that hasn't helped me much, even using the default airplanes. I'm now weighing up whether it might be worth my investing in a 64-bit O/S.

Good wishes, Tom

Archived