Airport rotating beacons - viewing distance

freddy

I see rotating airport beacons as I approach airports ... but they only seem to stay in view briefly. As I approach the airport, they stop being in view. I can no longer see them.  Now I can understand that if I am far away then I probably won't see them ... but it makes no sense for me not to be able to see them as I get closer and closer to an airport.

Is this normal?

Core Freddie.  Don't tell everyone there're rotating beacons, they'll all want them! ;D

I can honestly say though, I've never seen an airport rotating beacon anywhere!  Doesn't that make the airport a bit too easy to find though?

Sorry to hear about them disappearing the nearer you get.  Perhaps they detect you coming and switch off?!

Not much hekp am I but I'm sure one of the others will be more sensible about it.

Welcome to the forum.

John

Beacons can be viewable for in excess of 20 Nm + in the real world and are normally visible when in the circuit area , it may be a constraint of both FS9 and FSX that this anomaly occurs.

Core Freddie.  Don't tell everyone there're rotating beacons, they'll all want them! ;D

I can honestly say though, I've never seen an airport rotating beacon anywhere!  Doesn't that make the airport a bit too easy to find though?

Well, hehe, no, the airport is not necessarily easy to find if the beacon is visible one minute, but not the next. ;D

Beacons can be viewable for in excess of 20 Nm + in the real world and are normally visible when in the circuit area , it may be a constraint of both FS9 and FSX that this anomaly occurs.

Yes, I thought it may be some constraint of FS9 and FSX. It also occured to me that maybe my beacons are no longer visible because I may have my graphics settings up too high and the sim is smart enough to trash graphic objects that are not considered too important in the rendered scene. But, it would be nice to know that for sure. ie, if others are NOT experiencing this anomoly ... thus confirming it to be something specific only to my setup ...

Archived