Blurries and autogen problems

shaneo17

Gday

I am quite disappointed at the moment, because I am not seeing FTX to it's full potential. The ground textures are almost always very blurry, and take a very long time to improve. Even after they do, they are still quite blurry and definitely not at full resolution. The Autogen is fine upon commencement of a flight, loads at a large radius, etc. However, it fails to load at a reasonable rate whilst flying over it. I watch the autogen appear right in front of my plane.  :(

My settings almost mirror those in the FTX manual, which is usually fine for my level of computer hardware (I have a pentium 4 3.0GHz, 1Gb RAM, Nvidia 7900GT). I have frames locked at 20fps.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Shane  ;D

I suspect you are being hamstrung by your limited ram Shane. There has been another thread with a person only having 1GB of ram suffering bad blurries.

Also with a P4 3ghz I would not attempt to load autogen above NORMAL, you may even need to use the SPARSE setting.

Hi,

I am having similar problems with a core 2 quad system running 2gig RAM and ATI HD2400 256MB.  I have frames locked to 15 but even with autogen turned off I get very muddy textures which pop in and out of focus.

Kevin

maybe away from the beaten track,

@shanoe17, I have a P4 2,8HT 2G RAM 7600GS 256 and within some restrictions FSX/FTX runs fine here, try to untick all addon scenery except the FTX ones and see how you go I suspect that there is a conflict between one of your addon sceneries as for the system specs upgrade the RAM to 2 G's make sure they are identical sticks !

@ Kevinc, with those specs it should be rocking, so I think you have other issues

@shanoe17, I have a P4 2,8HT 2G RAM 7600GS 256 and within some restrictions FSX/FTX runs fine here, try to untick all addon scenery except the FTX ones and see how you go I suspect that there is a conflict between one of your addon sceneries as for the system specs upgrade the RAM to 2 G's make sure they are identical sticks !

I actually did a complete re-install of FSX leading up to FTX, and have no other addon scenery installed. Looks to me like it's time to get a new rig! Unfortunately im a little short on cash...anyone up for a loan?  ;D

Thanks Wolter,

I know I have issues, my wife could write a book!  :D

Cheesy The only question I have is does anyone know what they might be and how to solve them?  Checking task manager all 4 cores are running and I have tried a million combinations of settings with little or no change to frame rates and blurries.  Should I try re-installing FSX?

Kevin

Hi Kevin.

I've got a well spec'd machine here but had the dreaded "blurries" issue, to varying degrees, for quite some time. I tried lot's of different things - tweaks like the old FIBRE_FRAME_RATE (from memory) etc, but in the end I solved it by stopping my virus checker.

More specifically - I run Avast antivirus, and simply disable the "standard shield" before starting FSX, then resume it after I'm done in FSX. The "standard shield" checks files that are being read from the disk in case they are infected. The theory is that as textures are paged off disk they are being scanned, or at least considered, by the virus checker. This causes the FSX graphics engine to gradually fall behind with rendering the textures - specifically the higher res textures close to your current position.

Try this - wait until FSX has gone all blurry, then hit Pause and wait. You'll probably see, over the following seconds (maybe up to a minute if FSX has fallen a long way behind) the textures gradually page-in and get clearer and sharper. What this indcates is that the graphics engine can't keep up with your aircraft! With blurries it's because it can't get the textures to the videocard fast enough. If your disk is real slow or badly fragmented then you might also see this happening. In my case it was my virus checker slowing-down the paging of textures from the disk to the videocard.

Now I'm sorted and FTX is bloody awesome!

Try defraging your drive and turning off your virus scanner and see if that helps. Fingers crossed it'll do the trick for ya, or someone else reading this thread and having the same prob.

All the best ...

Greg.

Thanks for your suggestions guys and please keep em coming!  I have tried disabling virus checking (I have Norton 2007) and running a clean startup using the alacrity PC utility someone posted on the forum- no change so I don't think it is a memory or processor issue. All other 3rd party scenery files like VSX are disabled. To be honest it is a problem in default FSX but the view with FTX  is so much better I crave a smooth flight with no blurries.

I have Vista 32 bit OS and have the latest ATI drivers.  Andrew- can you tell me the settings that worked for you?

Archived