ORBX ESSA OOM in FSX Acceleration

Mik75

Hi there! 

I just bought ORBX ESSA yesterday. I did a bit of sightseeing in the default Robinson R22 with very good and stable framerates over and around the airport. 

After that, I rebooted FSX and flew a short hop in the NGX from ENGM (v2 by Aerosoft) to ESSA, with EU Norway being installed, but non active in FTX Central. Other than that, the following addons were active:

FTX Global

FTX Vector

FS Global Mesh

Open LC Europe 

ASN in live WX mode (broken clouds, nothing too dramatic)

REX soft clouds

REX Texture direct

Aivlasoft EFB

AI traffic set to 0.

All sliders within FSX set to reasonable values, nothing is maxed out, and texture max load is set to 1024. 

Pretty much during the whole flight,  remaining VAS was at around 1100. When I was approaching ESSA, this value dropped to 400-450, and after vacating the runway, the sim crashed with the OOM message. 

The performance was very good on this flight, with fps at around 25 during the approach, and 21-28 during and after the landing (in the VC of the NGX).

This has been my first "real" OOM on a normal flight, with my usual settings. 

Any input and help us highly appreciated. 

Greets from Germany,

Michael 

Good day Michael,

We have tried to keep the VAS as low as possible, however there is quite much to be rendered so reaching OOM is of course possible depending on sim and what other addons you have.  Have you tried to disable some stuff in the config? Most of those does not have a huge impact on the visuals but can free up some memory. 

Give that a try and see and let me know if that solves it.

Hi Marcus!

I've got exactly the same issues and environment running under Windows 7 Ultimate  64 Bit with an Intel CPU @ 4,5 GHz and 16 GByte of RAM as Michael has reported.

Nothing is maxed out and the VAS usage is around 3.9 GBytes with the PMDG 737NGX.

This occures when

a) starting at ESSA with the trike and switching to the 737NGX e.g. at a gate.

B) appoaching ESSA with the 737NGX

Within seconds there are OOM's each.

Do you have suggestion on switching off options?

Thanks a lot in advacne!

Bert

Order Number: FSS0459596

Hey Bert!

You could probably turn off most things in the ESSA Config Tool, they are not essential visually but can save up some VAS. Cars & Grass (guess you are running the sim in February so there is no grass anyways right now) will probably be the most effective options for easy saving on frames and VAS. 

If that doesn't help you maybe try to disable FTX ESSA and restart the sim and tell me what the VAS is without the airport enabled? We haven't had that many reports on OOM's so far and even though P3D v3 is much more effective my VAS at Arlanda with PMDG 777 and vector, olc europe, Rex clouds, and nearly all options at max, and 15% AI is only 2.6 gb. Might be something else that push the VAS up as well? What other addons are you using that could have an impact on the Stockholm-area?

Hi there!

I disabled all options, except for the grass, and the OOM still occurred, a few moments later, I could almost reach a gate, but still no luck. Free VAS went down to around 500 MB when I got closer to the airport. 

Make sure you do not have other afcad files for ESSA anywhere in your flight sim scenery folders. Also if you have Vector make sure you run the airport environment correction auto scan tool after installing any airport scenery.

Hi Marcus and all others here!

Thank you for taking care of this issue.

There is fact only FTX running in the surrounding of ESSA. No UTX, no GEX, no second or third ESSA-AFCAD, latest Orbx-Libs installed. I've deinstalled Arlanda X from Aerosoft quite a long time ago...

All values with FTX Central 2 settings as shown below:

VAS with ESSA enabled using the Trike:                                3,9 GBytes

VAS with ESSA enabled using PMDG's 737NGX in VC:         OOM

VAS with ESSA disabled using the Trike:                                1,9 GBytes

Fazinating: As I dived deeper into that matter after reading the other posts I found out that Arlanda X from Aerosoft has been deinstalled indeed (seen on the list of installed software) but (!) it still remained in the Areosoft folder and (!) the scenery.cfg. Don't know why...

So I deleted Aralnda X manually and removed it from the scenery libray: The same result concering VAS... I deinstalled ESSA and restarted the PC, checked the standard Arlanda in FS X again with about 1,9 GByte VAS usage, reinstalled your ESSA and...

VAS with ESSA enabled again using the Trike:                      2,3 GByte

VAS with ESSA enabled using PMDG's 737NGX with VC:   ~ 3    GByte (stable - on ground and while approaching)

Absolutly flyable at fps altering between 16 and 26.

Good job, guys - now I hope for moving jetways soon!

Bert

ESSAFTXC2.png

Hi Marcus,

There is fact only FTX running in the surrounding of ESSA. No UTX, no GEX, no second or third ESSA-AFCAD, latest Orbx-Libs installed. I've deinstalled Arlanda X from Aerosoft.SX is running with DX10.

FTX Central 2 settings only Stones aktive, Gras - not able to diable

VAS with ESSA enabled again using the Trike:                      2,7 GByte

VAS with ESSA enabled using PMDG's 737NGX with VC:   ~ 3,8   GByte

Touching the border to OOM value. But did a test fligt without OOM. Do you have any idea why the VAS is so high??

Best regards Holger!

Hi Marcus,

in addition to my post. I can not understand your post to Michael above.

"... Have you tried to disable some stuff in the config? Most of those does not have a huge impact on the visuals but can free up some memory."

We are all  "flying" with nearly High End PC and your solution is to disable some stuff in the scenery. That might be not the right way. I am flying into ORBX scenery for example KPSP or KEGE enabled different stuff without any problems.

You should try to check the problem in your scenery not moving the problem the your costumer.

Regards Holger

1 hour ago, oskar said:

You should try to check the problem in your scenery not moving the problem the your costumer

Hi Holger,

the fact is that only very few of the customers are experiencing this issue. None of our testers had this problem, and I myself tested the scenery on my fairly low-end PC, and also did not experience any such problems (My VAS usage was around 2.9-3.1 GB with the NGX).

Therefore, I think it's unfair that you say it's not your problem, when it clearly (at least to some extent) is.

1 hour ago, Andi01 said:

Hello,

I have also the same problems as Oskar. Minimum settings and high VAS usage. FSX is running with DX10.

Best regards

Andreas

Hey Andreas,

the only thing I can think of if maybe you didn't catch it above, is to check whether ALL other Arlanda add-ons are removed from your sim. Especially if you had the Aerosoft Arlanda. Check in the Aerosoft folder whether the airport has indeed been removed. I hope you can find the culprit which is causing you these problems.

15 minutes ago, curts said:

Hej!

In FTX Central 2 I can't disable Grass, if I do it reverts back the next time I start FTX Central 2.

/Curt

I think you might be referring to this issue.

Hi Philip, Marcus and all readers here!

Obvious we have two groups of users here:

1. The ones who don't have any problems beeing at ~ 3 GByte VAS usage after all actions as described above.

2. The ones who still have the problems beeing near to an OOM as described above.

The remaining (mosst improtant) question now is which add on might cause the VAS problem? Do you and the other virtual pilots here have any idea? Which software are causing the higher demand on VAS inside the FS-X-task?

Thanks to all!

Bert

Hello everyone!

1. I have no Aerosoft Arlanda scenery.
  2. I have made this morning some tests and comparisons with other sceneries (ORBX, FlightBeam). A failure I can not see directly.
  3. I have an increase of 1 GB VAS consumption (stock scenery 1,5 GB VAS / ORBX ESSA 2,4 - 2,6 GB VAS)
  4. With PMDG 737 and Aerosoft Airbus over 3GB VAS memory.

kcivvx44.jpg

rjt6bnqp.jpg
%7Boption%7Dpm67wkwp.jpg

About 1GB VAS consumption is too much.

Best regards
Andreas

• 2 weeks later...

This might help you out, a pack of lower resolution textures that will free up memory.

To install, just unzip the files of the folder in the zip to the texture folder of Arlanda (FSX/ORBX/FTX_GLOBAL/FTX_AA_ESSA/TEXTURE), replace the existing files with same name with  these files.

To revert back to higher resolution, just reinstall the scenery.

Hope that helps,

http://we.tl/dXl70epYo9

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Marcus!

I was away some days now and want to try the shrinked textures but the link has become invalid. Do you have another one for me please? Or did you updated the installer for that option?

Thanks a lot!

Bert

Order Number: FSS0459596

Here is a download link for a texture pack with lower resolution. Hope it helps! Just unzip the content in your ORBX/FTX_GLOBAL/FTX_AA_ESSA/Texture folder.

Overwrite duplicate files if asked.

To restore to original version, just reinstall Arlanda.

http://we.tl/1URLJKGi0h

This file is active for download until 1 April. I'll upload it somewhere more permanent until then.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

any permanent home for the lower resolution textures yet? I'd like to check them out since since I'm also having problems with OOM when approaching ESSA with the Aerosoft Airbuses. It OOM:s almost as soon as the airport is in range. When starting at the airport, it usually works without OOMs.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Markus
I join everyone who has a problem we VAS ! ... Start from ESSA to another destination are very perfect ... but when I came from another airport to ESSA ... 
I have every time VAS problem in short final  and crash systeme  ( but very good frame rate on your airport  <:))  ) !
Finaly I deactivated all option, but without better for the VAS use ! 
The links to download the low textures pack are no longer available.
It would be nice if Orbx could do an update for ESSA and  included this low resolution pack on the installer !  ... and / or if you put it on Dropbox with a permanent  link
Thank you

Hey everyone!

So sorry for the delay. Here is a download link to the texture pack:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iapqkul64w3fhp3/essa_1024.rar?dl=0

Install instructions:

1. Unzip the content to a temporary folder.

2. Take the content of the "1024" folder and copy paste into FSX/ORBX/FTX_Global/FTX_AA_ESSA/Texture

3. Press "Yes" when asked to replace files.

This will downsize all textures in the scenery from mainly 2048 textures to 1024 or less, and will save you lot's of VAS.

To go back to the original texture set, just reinstall the scenery.

Hope this will help! Let me know if there are any issues.

Thank you Markus.
In the first time, I just replace the photo scenery ground  "288 files"  without decrease the others textures and check this evening for see if I have again VAS problem  ... 
288 files for the ground photos ???? I see some file are the name " LOW"  ... Each textures are uploaded in the memory in 2 résolution  ? 
have you done tests with a single resolution to see if it does not lightens the memory ?

Thank you Markus ...
I only change the ground photo files ( 2K size to 1 K size ) ... I'm not change texture on the 3D ellement or texture on building  ...
And that's perfect ! 
Now, not find OOM or VAS problem and very friendly Fps with a medium computer !
Now, in short final that's very fluid without acces to the disk drive

Archived