Update of magnetic variation and navaids not effective

Hello!

I have upgraded my Prepar3d v3 simulator by installing the following Orbx products: FTX Global Base, FTX Global Vector and FTX Global openLC Europe.

I am trying to update the files containing the magnetic variation and the navaids in Prepar3d, by applying the following: http://www.aero.sors.fr/navaids3.html

A very short test showed that the effects are not visible: runways 15/33 from LRIA should have become 14/32, the runways should have had PAPI lights etc.

The scenery contained in the FTX products has greater priority in the Scenery Library, and the navaids update is applied only to the stock files of the simulator.

Do I have any chance of using the navaids update together with the Orbx products? If yes, how?

If not, how do you guys manage to fly on VATSIM, for example, where (I understand) the ATC controllers give instructions based on updated scenery and navaids?

Thanks in advance!

24 minutes ago, Gulfstreamtwo said:

A magnetic variation update does not change runway numbers painted on the ends. These are are "baked into" the sim.

I don't think that's what Marian is referring to. I think he's saying that the corrections to the *data* don't appear to have worked.

I followed the link in www.aero.sors.fr to the (long) forum discussion. *Very* interesting - but the impression I get is that it breaks more than it fixes <?>.

Adam.

34 minutes ago, Gulfstreamtwo said:

A magnetic variation update does not change runway numbers painted on the ends. These are are "baked into" the sim.

The test I performed involved getting a taxi clearance from the stock ATC to the active runway. I guess he should have specified the updated runway number, 32. I got cleared to taxi to 33... I have also installed Plan-G for VFR flight planning and built the database from the "updated" scenery (as needed by Plan-G in order to work). This application too gave me the old runway numbers.

A few months ago I applied the same update and it worked. And now I remember why: I made a few small adjustments to the parking spots, using AFX. But the application could not load the Orbx scenery file, I don't remember what the error message was. So I loaded the stock one. Because of these changes, the new airport scenery got the highest priority. So I had the updated runway numbers, PAPI lights etc.

So I guess I use either the navaids update, or the Orbx products... I don't see another solution for the moment...

Sometime in the future I plan to use Navigraph charts and fly on Vatsim. My biggest problem regarding the subject is the fact that Navigraph offers updated charts, using updated navaids, runway numbers etc. Add-on aircraft like PMDG products use updated navigation data. So, as long as the simulator contains outdated navaids, I guess I am going to have some problems...

This is why I wanted to keep the data updated.

Archived