Installation of "Acceleration"

tom

I Put this in another post, but it all got a bit lost.

I have just purchased  "Acceleration" and need to install it.  Everything is running very well at present with FTX SP3, so I want to do this properly, and without risk of a stuffup.  I need clarification on a few points though, before proceeding.

I'm using Vista 64, which in "Control Panel - Programs & Features" only shows one entry for FSX, viz FSX SP2.  I assume if I "uninstall" this, it would then show only FSX SP1, and then just FSX with another uninstall etc.

So, .... do I uninstall just FSX SP2, or both SPs prior to installing the Acceleration Pack? I've heard that both SP1 and SP2 are included with "Acceleration",  and that the SP2 is a bit different to the freely available SP2, thus requiring its removal  prior to Accel installation.  Is this the case with SP1 as well ?

Also, I'm assuming that if I turn all FTX off in "FTX Central" - is it then safe to proceed. Is this so ??

Gurus, ...... please advise..... I'm real keen to get this Pack up and running.

Cheers

Hi Tom,

I did something similar with XP. I had FSX SP1 and SP2 installed and wanted to install Acceleration. I uninstalled SP2 and it then showed SP1. I then installed Acceleration successfully.

I've subsequently installed a fresh copy of FSX, SP1 and Acceleration in Windows 7, followed by FTX SP3. Others have recommended starting a flight in FSX between each step then re-booting, which I did, but I have no idea why this is recommended.

I don't know whether Acceleration includes SP1. I didn't think it did, so I installed it over SP1. I do know that Acceleration won't install over SP2 but is happy installing over SP1.

Can't comment on the necessity to turn off FTX first, but it seems prudent to do so.

Greg

Thanks for that Greg. Your approach fits in with what I'd suspected was the correct way to go.

I'll give the thread a tad more time to gather any other suggestions (which seems unlikely), then go down this path.

I've got everything pretty well backed up, so in the event of an improbable disaster, will do a fresh install of FSX ....  which I guess won't do any harm anyhow.

Thanks again, and cheers

Greg

FYI FSX acceleration contains both SP1 and SP2 and will install both onto and FSX clean install. (good reference: http://www.simviation.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1197380641 and http://blogs.msdn.com/ptaylor/archive/2008/06/24/what-is-fsx-acceleration-what-does-it-contain-and-is-it-worth-it.aspx

I don't think that there any issues in installing Acceleration when SP1 is already installed.

Regards

PeterH

Just for information, I uninstalled SP2, then installed "acceleration" - all seems to have gone well.

It thus appears that the SP1 in "acceleration" is probably identical to the independently installed version, and goes over the top without problems.

Not so with SP2 though, which needs to be uninstalled .... it seems.

Cheers

Archived