Question about mainboard temps

Aviara1985

Hi there,

So I finally did it and went for P3D v3 and am very pleased with that decision. Performance seems great and obviously I'm having a look at temperatures (using HWMonitor) while it runs.

To be honest I may be a bit worried. A few things to note is, that it's winter so my room temps are on the lower side and I haven't been running P3D for more than a few minutes. Anyway I just did a take-off test with the PMDG 777 at KSEA with Orbx Pacific Northwest (default KSEA from Orbx) at night with ASN and REX4. I guess that's a good setup for a Sim "stress test", mainly looking at how it performs. While I am happy with the results on the performance side, the motherboard (and graphics card) temps got my attention.

ASRock Z97 Extreme4 went to 44°C

GTX 970 went to 68°C (95% load)

While my guess is that those are well within the safe zone, my main concern is that I was running the sim for just a few minutes. I can't tell how much further they'll rise when the sim runs for several hours. So should I be concerned or can I switch off HWMonitor, while flying without worries. And what's the max for both of them (the "24/7" max , not the absolute max)??

Thanks and cheers,

Those temps are fine. When running either FSX or P3D my motherboard and drive temps are in the 40-44C range. My GTX 970 runs 60-64C with the fan at 20-30% and the 4790K CPU is around 55C.  Anything below 80C isn't a problem for either the CPU or the GPU but, obviously, lower is better. As long as the fans are turning you're OK but the only way to know that for sure is to either keep a monitor running (good option) or wait for a thermal throttle-back or shutdown (bad option).

Doug

Yeah my CPU (also 4790k) didn't go beyond 55 C (no overclock or turbo). But it was the first time my GPU has hit 68 C at more than 40% fan. I just hope the temps won't rise too much when summer kicks in. Well I'll see what it does when the sim is running for mutiple hours. If it's in that range as well I guess I can sleep well.

Well, I wouldn't recommend it, but my old computer regularly went up to 75-80 when running FSX in the summer months with no ill effects.

I now have a water cooled one with two extra fans and because its operating in a somewhat confined space, the temperatures tend to run in the 60's winter and summer.

John

Yeah I'm not worried about the cpu. The cpu looks good. It's just that main mainboard went up to 43-45 C quite quickly when running P3D. I have a hard time finding the recommended daily tenps for the ASRock Z97 Extreme4.  IIRC mainboards have less heat tolerance than cpu/gpu.

Archived