ORBX Trees

Fantomas01

Hi

I recently purchased FTX Trees which I didn't install straight away.  I wanted to see the difference between default and my new product.  However, once I installed it and set everything up I loaded up my default airport at Leeds/Bradford and noticed that the trees looked exactly the same.

I am running FSX Steam edition and have ORBX England installed.  Will that make a difference ?  When I've checked in FTXCentral I can see the England region installed but it doesn't mention anything about the Trees addon apart from a tick box saying Use FTC Trees which is ticked.

Do I need to do anything in FSX ?

Thanks
Matthew

• 2 weeks later...

Hi David

Thanks for that, I did check that in FTX Central 2.  I haven't checked the scenery outside of the England region yet, so might try it in Wales or something and see if there is a difference.

I'm just not sure what to expect from the Trees addon.

Thanks
Matthew

Hi Matthew,

Trees HD is a texture replacement package so you won't see more trees or trees in different places. It's a stand-alone product meaning it's not included with any other product of ours. The easiest way to check before/after is to place yourself in a wooded area (ideally, mixed tree types) then take a screenshot with the Use FTX Trees HD checkbox active, save the flight, shut down the sim, deactivate the checkbox, then re-start with the saved flight and take another screenshot.

Cheers, Holger

• 2 weeks later...

Not a complaint, only an observation. Regarding FTX Trees product which I have installed ... seems the height and width of some of them are a bit overdone. Some are well over a hundred feet tall which may be common for some species, but just don't look right when poking up from mountain tops in scattered fashion. Also makes me wonder if they were somewhat slightly smaller in scale if frame rates might benefit even more.

trees.jpg

Hi there,

that's a fair point though the height of the FTX Trees are the same as those of the default trees as it's strictly a 1:1 texture replacement and it's the model that determines size. For the same reason making them smaller wouldn't make any difference in terms of fps as they all use just one texture sheet anyway (in fact, most tree types share a single sheet with others).

What would make a difference in fps, in a negative way, is if FSX/P3D actually was fully accurate in terms of real-world tree dimensions, particularly the width of tree crowns. In most locations we'd need to place ten times more trees than the maximum of 6,000 the landclass tiles are designed for in order to achieve something looking like a forest. Which is the reason why the trees (as well as building heights) are meant to be somewhat oversized: if accurate dimensions were used there would be no closed forests anywhere, which would probably look worse from the air than what we currently have.

That being said there are different tree heights available for placement for the developers and we do try to choose the smaller types for our products wherever feasible.

Cheers, Holger 

• 5 months later...
On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 9:12 PM, bill721 said:

So If there are trees in the middle of a runway like at airport CZO in Alaska.  It's not a trees HD issue correct?  They were there before.

Thanks

Bill

Is there a way to fix trees in the runway at airport CZO in Alaska?

Archived