P3D (or the lack of) is giving me a big desision headache

Aviara1985

Hey there,

Ok, this spring I finally got my new system.... and finalized the build with the components I saved for just recently. Well actually there might be just one thing left, but I'll save for that --> a large SSD just for flying and other demanding games (so I don't think I should go anywhere below 1 GB). I will post my specs below, but now to the problem.

Here is a little story. I got spoiled..... I said to myself, just keep it simple (Overland planes, default airports with custom afcad, etc...) with just a few little improvements like ASN, some textures and a few tweaks (even with my new system). One of the main reasons was I wanted to fly anything and anywhere without huge "quality gaps" and as I also like to fly with dense traffic. And then I got myself the Aerosoft A32X. And obviously I got spoiled so I wanted another aircraft for a little changing around.... and I got the PMDG 737 NGX and I finally passed the point of no return and my thirst for enhancement led me to REX4 and I said to myself "Ok with REX4 I don't need Add-On airports". I spoiled myself aircraft-wise already. Again... all went good... no troubles until I dove into the world of online flight (IVAO and VATSIM). So I got myself a few airports to better enhance the online experience and now here I am with a bunch of Add-On, thirsty for more. Well I don't regret taking the red pill after all. It's like a whole new world now and I never had so much fun with FSX, even when I'm just exploring newly installed scenery in slew mode. My only fear obviously is performance. What will happen when I come into YSSY (Flytampa + Australia SP4) with the PMDG 77W after maybe a long trip from FlyTampa Dubai with FTX Global at night with a heavy ASN weather raging. Since I now also fly online.... I set my UT2 settings to 25-30% when offline, which I'm happy with.

Ok so here is the real problem. As you can see I recently pumped up my FSX(-SE), but at the same time I'm eyeballing P3D (I still have no idea what license to purchase if I wanted to get it).

It's just that I somehow committed myself to FSX for times to come with all the new Add-Ons (especially considering I would have to re-buy e.g. PMDG jets). My main (and pretty much only) criteria here is performance. I'm happy to wait for all the extra eye-candy, but if P3D v3 performs much better than FSX I might consider an earlier entry into the P3D world. But if the difference it just minimal then I'll stick with FSX for the meantime. And P3D is still 32-bit right. If it is and if they are planning to go 64-bit I might as well wait for that.

Anyway here is my current system for you to estimate performance in P3D (with all the good Add-Ons obviously):

i7-4790k @ 4 GHz (no OC at the momemt)

ASRock Z97 Extreme4

MSI Twin Frozr GTX 970 4GB

16 GB DDR3-1600

250 GB SSD (Windows 10 64-bit)

2 TB HDD (Games and Multimedia)

64bits is over-rated IMO, at leat until such a FS is released we don't really know the real (as opposed to wishful thinking) pluses and minuses. It is not for tomorrow anyway, do not hold your breath.

P3D will give you much more eye candy than FSX  for an improved performance. How much improved ? Its  difficult to assess as parameters (hardware, FS preferred settings, type of flying etc) vary a lot from user to user. I saw something subtantial from FSX/DX10 fo P3D 2.3 myself when I switched.

But why don't you try ? LM has a 60 day trial http://www.prepar3d.com/support/refundpolicy/ If you're not satisfied  (I very much doubt it) , you can go back to FSX with your money back. 

Dom is right.  Use your 60 day 'free look' and do some testing.  Make sure it is rock-solid, no OOMs.  All the other visual improvements you will notice day 1, not at all concerned with that. 

V3 has been improved now to the point that it unloads scenery that is no longer needed, so it improves memory utilization and increases stability, or so I read. If this is indeed the case, they may well have alleviated the need for the 64-bit rebuild altogether.  We will see. 

I hear 3.1 is due out here before long, BTW, so that might be a good time to read the reviews and make the jump shortly thereafter.

Yeah but compared to FSX with heavy Add-ons and similar settings (PMDG, Orbx, ASN, REX4,etx...) how well does it perform including FPS. Thats much more important to me than the extra eye-candy. There are also some Add-Ons that need to be bought again at a high price. And LM also recommends an SSD and with flightsims they should be spacious. So I'll guess I'll let another year pass and take it slow. And perhaps save for a dedicated system for it. And whats the difference between academic and pro other than the huge price gap?

Well good thing I can save on the hardware. The only thing that hurts is the additional purchase of the very pricey PMDG version. But I'll do a compromise. I'll wait for v3 to settle down and for all the good add-ons to catch up and then dive in. Thanks a lot folks

Cheers

Archived