What's the best airplane fighting game...

IL-2 (the 1946 DVD version) is still the best out there if you want real airplanes with a fan on the front. Some of the mod packs that have been making the rounds of the net have improved it out of sight!

Yes forgot about that one it was excellent only thing is I could never get it work under Vista.

IL-2 (the 1946 DVD version) is still the best out there if you want real airplanes with a fan on the front. Some of the mod packs that have been making the rounds of the net have improved it out of sight!

x2 and it works fine in vista for me  ;)

x2 and it works fine in vista for me  ;)

mmm may have to dust it off and try again and give it a go on Windows 7

Soon as I have my Rise Of Flight, I will let you know if the most anticipated WWI Combat Sim of the last decade lives up to the expectations :)

I have a horrid feeling it has disolved into a 'game' though, JayKae. I hope not, but it has been looking more and more so every month.

lomac and IL2 1946 are well worth it, althought lomac will be replaced by black shark in time . DCS are realeasing the data needed for people to make there own models ,cockpits and all the flight characteristics.

Soon as I have my Rise Of Flight, I will let you know if the most anticipated WWI Combat Sim of the last decade lives up to the expectations :)

I'm certainly looking forward to this also! The videos/screen shots are fantastic.

Is it only available pre-order from the US? The latest release date is June 29th I think.

One worry is that it seems to be mainly aimed at on-line dogfights rather than single player missions.

Look forward to reading your review  ;D

IL-2 Sturmovik 1946 (v4.09m with or without mods) wins hands down if you're want more than fire and forget from your combat experience.  The whole series from the original IL-2 Sturmovik v1.0 has been in the lead of WWII flightsims since it was released (MS gave up on CFS3's successor because they 'couldn't compete with the Russians').

(PS: I fly online 2 nights a week with a squadron flying German/Axis Bombers and Ground Attack aircraft).

Lock-on and it's derivatives look nice, but you'd better want to know how to really fly the aircraft in some detail, as I haven't seen the sit down, strap-in, and hang on mode in that one yet.

cheers

Bungo

aka WTE_Bungo, II/KG53 Legion Kondor, 2 Talon Group, Wedge Tailed Eagles (http://www.wte-anga.com)

Thank you guys, after reading all your post I think I'll go with Rise of flight since I'm using Vista 64-bit. I saw some video on youtube, I hope my machine will be fast enough..... ;D

Other game like IL-2 look good but not Vista compatible.

IL2 was the king for a very long time, I played it for years.

Currently, I've shifted to CFS3 Over Flanders Fields. It's amazing, all the WWI is historically reproduced (flight plans and weather for each day, so that when you fly with a squadron, the activity there represents what was going on), there are many plane flyable from each nation, single and two-seaters, (and with some freeware addons you can add Gothas). It looks really great, more like FS2004 than CFS3, the developpers have used their own textures, and the flight models feel good. I was initially waiting for Rise of Flight, but it is so light in content now (2 planes flyable and 1 map only at release...) that I feel it will need a good year at least to catch up with OFF. Still, I ll be curious to read your opinion when you get it JayKae!

Apart from that, I can't wait Storm of Wars, but it's for 2010 only (if we're lucky). LOMAC and Black Shark looked great but I'm not into modern aircrafts (spending time moving a cursor around the IR monitor to mark you target while you dodge incoming attacks is different from goold old dogfight! :P)

Reading this thread has made me realise how much the combat flight sim market has shrunk. I remember with fond memories the 90's and early 00's when we had so many great combat sims to choose from...

Falcon 4.0

Janes F15

Janes F/A18

Janes Longbow 2

European Air War

Falcon 4.0: Allied Force

Lock On: Modern Air Combat

F-22 Total Air War

Mig Ally

Eurofighter Typhoon

Just to name a few (I could keep going).....and it wasn't just the sim itself. I loved the manuals (or books in some instances) you got with them. It was great picking up a box and feeling how heavy it was.

Sigh...those were the days.

Regards,

Serge

Oh goodie, my game is on its way !!! YAY!

Who did you order it from JK?

I tried to the GoGamer site (they claim to be sole distributers for the US) but they don't deliver outside the US.

The only other source is from Russia, and European distributers don't appear to have been appointed yet...

Oh goodie, my game is on its way !!! YAY!

Who did you order it from JK?

I tried to the GoGamer site (they claim to be sole distributers for the US) but they don't deliver outside the US.

The only other source is from Russia, and European distributers don't appear to have been appointed yet...

Apologies - just found it a source that will post internationally - FSPilotsShop.

I found one on ebay today in Japan - it was the American release, and it was at the GoGamer price + 5$ postage - it took the gamble, I am so weak when it comes to new sims... I hope I won't regret, because the reactions on simhq are somewhat.. contrasted. I take it for granted that: (1) there is almost no content, 2 flyable planes, not so many AI planes etc... For this, I'll probably go back often to OFF. (2) People generally reckon that it's innovative as regards realistic and complex flight model, and the graphic engine is of new generation. So I thought I'd give it a chance

For realistic flight behaviour, attention to detail and shear flying challenge I believe you can't go past 'Battle of Britain II - Wings of Victory' and 'Over Flanders Field - Between Heaven and Hell'. Both are superb private efforts that leave any other prop sim out in the cold, even IL-2 (which to me lost the plot after Forgotten Battles).

My favourite is OFF - I just luv the period. :)

As far a Rise Of Flight goes,even though I'm a diehard WWI buff, I'll pass on it. Any game that provides just two (2) flyable aircraft in the original package is shameful IMHO. Simply a ripoff.

If I would have to choose only one, I would probably say OFF indeed, simply because I think a combat sim must be a flight sim + a detailled depiction of a theatre of war. OFF is the only one that can do that because of the number of planes represented, the historical flight plans for everyday etc, all things extra polished in OFF and simply absent in RoF. But as a hardcore fan of flight sim with a marked curiosity, I still couldn't resist trying RoF (my box is only on the way now)

Guys I've tried all of these WW2 fighter games since their inception. If your your after a truly emersive experience try. https://fighterace.ketsujin.com/default2.asp . Textures and scenery are bland. This is done on purpose to allow a greater number of people from around the world to be able to play with different connection speeds and computer specs. Thats where it ends. The community has been going for 11 years! They have thousands of subscribers. It runs 24/7 and is populated all the time.

It has a 2 week free trial period, which IMHO is far to short for people to get a fair grasp of flying fighters and learning how to control views. If anyone wants to try it PM me and I could dramatically help you out to set it up. TS is essential as is a good headset!

Plane dynamics are controlable and they have rooms set with selected levels of game phyisics. It is a game after all. JOIN A SQUAD. To bennifit from their experieance and to learn some tactics. Meet new people and promptly shoot their 6 off.

My only complant is that because of the games unique view tracking targeting system. Which BTW is the best around. It doesn't support Track IR. It can be used in mouse emulation view but thats just not the same.

Just my oppinion  ;)

For realistic flight behaviour, attention to detail and shear flying challenge I believe you can't go past 'Battle of Britain II - Wings of Victory' and 'Over Flanders Field - Between Heaven and Hell'. Both are superb private efforts that leave any other prop sim out in the cold, even IL-2 (which to me lost the plot after Forgotten Battles).

My favourite is OFF - I just luv the period. :)

As far a Rise Of Flight goes,even though I'm a diehard WWI buff, I'll pass on it. Any game that provides just two (2) flyable aircraft in the original package is shameful IMHO. Simply a ripoff.

Just got an email announcing that Aerosoft have been appointed sole distributers of RoF for Europe. Boxed version this month, download August.

Plus, they claim "The best known aircraft of 1917and 1918 are included (Albatros D.5, Fokker D.VII, DFW C.5, Brequet Bre.14, Nieuport Nie.17, Nieuport Nie.28, Spad S.13, Royal Air Factory SE.5)".

If this is true of the European release it makes it a much more attractive propostion. (Maybe they are downloadable if not included in the Russian/US release??

It's also possible that the annoucement is referring to the planes modelled but not the flyable ones (just 2 flyable + AI). I've asked this question on Aerosoft. It's also possible that the Aerosoft will be more expensive and therefore include additional planes that will available for purchase for the other releases (eg the Nieuport 17 was available to Russian that paid the more expensive collector ed, but everybody will be able to pay an extra to get it soon, from what I understood). Any plane introduced as an optional payware addon will be available for free as AI for other players, and players can mix in multiplayer mode with default and addon planes, except that if you didn't purchase an addon plane, you can't fly it. That's all I gathered about this topic until now.

Archived