Backing up FSX disks

chumley

Since the demise of Aces earlier this year hardly a week has gone by without someone suggesting that owners of FSX disks make a copy for safety and security should the originals meet an untimely end.

I have not followed advice but finding my young grandson chewing on the case got me to thinking that one day soon he will be able to open the case and give the DVD a real good going over. I know that I should put them in a safe place and I will but I think it is time I heeded the comments of others. With that in mind what program, freeware preferably, has the wherewithall to burn me a nice spanking reliable backup copy of of my FSX and also FS9 master disks?

Thanks

Aybe

I hate to inform you that you cannot make copies of the FSX disks as they have  some copy protection on them that Lookis for the bar code on the inner rim of the disk and this can't be backed up.

FS9 is a different story as I have mad a stand alone installation DVD and it works fine.

Guest J van E

In that case it might be an idea to make a backup of a pristine FSX-install (with SP1 and SP2 applied) and download the FSX Registry Utility to get that backup working again when a new install is required (simply restore the complete FSX folder wherever you want and run the utility to get FSX registered in the registry). It might also be a good idea to backup the FSX folders in Documents and Roaming.

Come to think of it... this might be a good idea even if the dvd's never get lost or broken! I usually (re)install FSX a few times every year (due to a new OS install or because I want to get rid of a cluttered installment) so I think the next time I install FSX, I will make a backup of the 'clean' install for future use! I think this will save some time. (Don't know what will happen with activation though...)

JvE that is one of the first things I do whenever working on any program that I have installed.

After an install and if all is well I make a compressed backup copy.

Then anytime any changes are made remake that copy before and if successful afterward. Drives are cheap for archiving time is not. For IT related freelance work up here in the mountains I charge $75 / Hr + Travel

Many people up here in the high country have learned from bitter experience that having viable backup images is cheap when compared to data loss.

I hate to inform you that you cannot make copies of the FSX disks as they have  some copy protection on them that Lookis for the bar code on the inner rim of the disk and this can't be backed up.

You sure about that Maurice? Whilst I haven't backed up my original DVDs for either FSX or Acceleration, I have copied their contents to a spare eSATA disk and install from that - works well and in a fraction of the time it takes to do the job from DVD.

Regards,

Maurice.

I'll have to check and verify but for mine that was the case , the ones sold in the UK might be subject to a different copy and backup rule. I prefer to do that where possible too ( Keeps the DVD's etc in Pristine condition.)

True 'nuff Mozz,

When it appeared that FS may go "belly up", I purchased a second set just in case  ::) - well, you never know - they are still with their original cellophane wrapper on - and that's the way they'll stay unless......................

Maurice.

Hi Folks.

Maurice, maybe they have different backup routines based on the selling region of the discs.  I bought mine in the US and I was able to successfully backup on dvd FSX/Acceleration (twice actually).  But I could not back up all of the FS9 discs - couldn't back up the one you have to leave in the cd drive as it was protected.

Howard

Archived