OpenLC Canada Memory Leak?

Matthew Symons

Hello

I appear to be experiencing a memory leak issue (high VAS usage) using P3D V3 and the FTX Products. I have all of them installed, including the new OpenLC Canada/Alaska. 

I did a flight last week from LHR to LAX and I noticed the memory peak. I had about 8% VAS remaining. As I got closer to LAX, the VAS reduced back down to, leaving me with 12% remaining. It went back up to having 10% remaining on landing, which was fine.

On the flight I did last night, from SFO to LHR, the memory leak appeared again, but this time the VAS did not reduce, resulting in an OOM just before turning onto final. 

Is there anything I can do to solve this?

Just to advise, I was using the PMDG 777, FS Global, FTX Global and Vector, OpenLC Europe and Canada/Alaska, ASN, REX4 + SC and FTX Trees.

When I fly to JFK, MCO or MIA, avoiding Canada, I do not suffer from this issue. IT seems to take place when flying over the Hudson Bay.

Thanks

Matthew

• 8 months later...

I'm not using OpenLC, but I am using Vector, and have definitely started to notice this over Canada.  I'll try to start isolating it but you can see in the graphs below around hours 4-6, there is a definite VAS drop when I'm flying over Eastern Canada, approximately Newfoundland or Quebec if I had to narrow it down.

Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Capture3.PNG

I've described similar VAS issues in Canada in this Vector thread that Richard Lincoln is apparently looking into:

It would be interesting to know what values you are seeing when you disable Vector, as I'm mostly convinced this is at the root of the problem.

I'd bet you will also experience similar poor VAS results flying in southern Ontario. 

I would agree there's a problem in most of the southern and eastern portions of Canada with Vector active.  For me this became apparent after the following:

Migration, NA OLC purchase, Vector updates 1.4 and 1.45.  Something in all these changes are causing a breakdown in VAS consumption and it would not surprise me this

is in the form of a memory leak or similar anomaly.

Appreciate the suggestions Holger and thanks for your willingness to help.

In fact, your suggested method is precisely how I narrowed down the VAS problem.   I disabled all but FTX scenery then started deactivating components of FTX.

It was when I inevitably disabled Vector it became apparent this was (at least in my case) the culprit.   Spawning the default FSX C172 at CYVV or CYGK results in well over

a 1Gb difference as between having Vector on or off.   These particular airports are not located in 'complex' areas.  It's almost as though Vector is 'double-using' VAS in these areas.

Had a MUCH better flight in terms of VAS over eastern Canada with Vector disabled.  Only noticeable dips were in climbout from KLAX and descent into EGLL (KLAX from FSDT and EGLL UK2000 v3).  In fact, once I got over northern Canada and the Atlantic, my VAS appeared to increase about 200 MB.  Attached also is what I have for current Orbx files activated in my scenery library.  Disabling the Vector files were the only changes between my previous 2 flights on 26 AUG and this one.

Capture2.PNG

Capture3.PNG

I have nothing that quantitative, but I am pretty sure there is something in that area that is absolutely destroying VAS usage. Note when you leave Canada, that VAS isn't even recuperated either.

Between fighting the stupid PMDG FMC memory leak and whatever Vector is doing there, it's becoming very frustrating to even consider doing long haul flights right now.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/17/2016 at 8:49 PM, davecessna said:

I have nothing that quantitative, but I am pretty sure there is something in that area that is absolutely destroying VAS usage. Note when you leave Canada, that VAS isn't even recuperated either.

Between fighting the stupid PMDG FMC memory leak and whatever Vector is doing there, it's becoming very frustrating to even consider doing long haul flights right now.

I completely agree.  I've been chasing down the PMDG FMC memory leak for 2 years now, combined with this noticeable VAS drop over Canada, I'm more paranoid about VAS usage than actually flying the plane now.

• 1 month later...

Not a word from the Orbx team? Please fix this.  I also am having to stop long haul flying in OpenLC Canada. I can fly in a southerly route from America out of Boston or NY and do not have memory problems. Flying in northern Canada is an OOM coming at any minute.

46 minutes ago, Holger Sandmann said:

Hi David,

you mention openLC NA but the discussion above points to Vector as the cause of VAS problems. Have you confirmed that the issues you're having are not present when you temporarily deactivate the openLC NA entries?

Cheers, Holger

I am not sure and do not have time to test. I have time once or twice a week to do a long haul flight and that is my fs time for the week. I have never had an oom in the middle of cruise in FSX Steam since installing it on a new Windows install earlier this year. I have Vector/Global/OpenLC products and have used OpenLC Europe since it came out with no oom in cruise in all my flights. Before FSX Steam I did have OOM also in cruise over Canada and before the OpenLC Cnaada was released now that you mention it being Vector. Is this something the Vector team is looking at for the next update?

Anyone?  What tool is this for mapping VAS usage over time, I did some searches and can't find it.  This would be very useful for us that would like to map changes in VAS and link it to underlying scenery.

On 2016-08-27 at 7:56 AM, CaptKornDog said:

I'm not using OpenLC, but I am using Vector, and have definitely started to notice this over Canada.  I'll try to start isolating it but you can see in the graphs below around hours 4-6, there is a definite VAS drop when I'm flying over Eastern Canada, approximately Newfoundland or Quebec if I had to narrow it down.

Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Capture3.PNG

Archived