Trees HD error inFTX Central 2

ifrevets

15 minutes ago, Jeff Gilmour said:

Hi ifrevets,

This topic might help if you are using Win10. See Ed's #4 post  http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/101982-ftx2-problem-win-10/#comment-921933

Hi Jeff

Thanks for the info. But I am still using Windows 7. I was not able to upgrade to Windows 10. Always got the same error and I tried all of Microsoft's ways of  doing it plus all of the stuff on Google but none of it worked. So I gave up and stayed with Windows 7 for now.

I would have to reinstall all of my stuff if I went to Windows 10 without the upgrade and I just have way too much stuff to bother.

Maybe if I decide to try Prepar3d later on I'll install Windows 10 but not now.

Go back to basics.

Go to:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\ORBX\User Documents

and locate the "FTX TreesHD User Guide.pdf".

If it is there, right click on it to get a menu, and left click on the "Open With" (about 3 down), and select Abobe Reader.

If Reader cant open it, the pdf file may be corrupt.

Hi ifrevets,

I have chosen to stick with Win7 as well, but thank all those who like to bunny test win10, who also like unfortunate surprises down the track.

Ok so you are using Win7 and have "Adobe ReaderXI" and have not upgraded to the latest "Adobe Reader DC" could you check to see that your "windows default programs" options are still set to open PDF's with Adobe Reader.

Goto Windows Start button > right menu > click: Default programs > select: "Associate a file type or protocol with a program" > make sure your .pdf .pdfxml .pdx files are set to open with Adobe Reader. If they are not then highlight the entry line and select: "Change Program" button > Choose: the default program (icon) - it should be An Adobe Reader Icon > then click OK.

Hope that helps, I have no other ideas otherwise.

EDIT: @petfy's  - method might be the easier option - as it will find the file associations for you and allocate them to Adobe Reader accordingly.

18 minutes ago, petfy said:

Go back to basics.

Go to:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\ORBX\User Documents

and locate the "FTX TreesHD User Guide.pdf".

If it is there, right click on it to get a menu, and left click on the "Open With" (about 3 down), and select Abobe Reader.

If Reader cant open it, the pdf file may be corrupt.

Thanks for your input petfy. It got me on the right track. My problem was I somehow managed to lose my Adobe Reader. Reinstalled it and all is well.

Incidentally, I never put any of my programs into program files(86). I just use the program name and install it into a drive (e.g. C:/FSX). It avoids a lot of the permissions nonsense that Microsoft loves so much.

Thanks again for the heads-up

19 minutes ago, Jeff Gilmour said:

Hi ifrevets,

I have chosen to stick with Win7 as well, but thank all those who like to bunny test win10, who also like unfortunate surprises down the track.

Ok so you are using Win7 and have "Adobe ReaderXI" and have not upgraded to the latest "Adobe Reader DC" could you check to see that your "windows default programs" options are still set to open PDF's with Adobe Reader.

Goto Windows Start button > right menu > click: Default programs > select: "Associate a file type or protocol with a program" > make sure your .pdf .pdfxml .pdx files are set to open with Adobe Reader. If they are not then highlight the entry line and select: "Change Program" button > Choose: the default program (icon) - it should be An Adobe Reader Icon > then click OK.

Hope that helps, I have no other ideas otherwise.

EDIT: @petfy's  - method might be the easier option - as it will find the file associations for you and allocate them to Adobe Reader accordingly.

Thanks again for the help Jeff. As I said in the above post to petfy I was missing Adobe Reader.

Not to familiar with messages or else I would have added you to my last reply to petfy. Don

Archived