OrbX Install location

Hi all,

I'm looking at taking the jump to P3D, now that v3 is out. Given my less-than-perfect setup, it being a laptop, I'm not sure I want to install all the add ons on my internal drive, siren it will run out of capacity soon. Now, since P3D v3 doesn't allow installation directly into the sim's folder anymore, I was wondering where add-on developers, such as OrbX direct the installer too? Is there a set new location for add ons outside of the sim's folder? Or can I direct installers, for example, to an external drive even with the core sign being on my internal drive?

Any help would be appreciated.

(PS: the new signature rules are a bit confusing. I came across  genera notice asking to remove all order numbers, but there is a topic pinned here saying I have to put all order numbers in... So which one is it? order number sin or out?)

Hi Benjamin and welcome,

OrbX said they won't follow LM guidelines and stick to placing their sceneries within the P3D folder.

About the "less than perfect setup", be aware that P3D needs at least a 780GTX  graphic card to deliver its goodies and that a slow HD (which is often the case on older laptops)  makes loading of large sceneries a real pain. 

Is the 780GTX a firm requirement? My laptop has a NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M with 2GB. FSX has always run okay for my purposes, which is really just flying low and slow around OrbX scenery. I have long given up on long hauls into busy airports. If I do fly jetliners, I use the smaller airports, places such as FlyTampa's Buffalo, which tend to give me good enough performance.

Alas, I'm quite disappointed OrbX is not going to follow LM's guidelines. Could you link me to where they say this? I'd like to know more about it.

Really... Well, then I have no option but too install all of Prepar3D on my external drive. The program seems to take up about twice the space that FSX used to take up, so there's no chance I can install it plus all addons on my internal drive. Too bad...

Thanks for answers so far! Does this mean that if I try to install an add-on for Prepar3D v2, it will install properly? I recognize that it might not be a 100% compatible, but will it at least install to the right location? And I mostly refer to OrbX sceneries, for they truly are my number one priority since I do so much low and slow flying with the A2A C172.

Archived